Used 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 190 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

One of the lucky few
By ChunkBunny

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Cobalt seems to have a lot of duds, judging by reviews. I guess I am one of the lucky few that got a good one. Every time I take it to a mechanic they tell me that it is in amazing condition. I bought mine new in 2007 and it has been my daily driver since. It has also been on many 16+ hour road trips and has been in minor accidents twice. I have never had a single mechanical issue and I have never had to do more than regular maintenance. Road noise can be a bit of an issue and the ride is a bit rough. Seats are not very comfortable at all, but they haven't worn out on me yet. I just started having issues with the dash rattling at 150,000 miles. The extras that come with the LT (level 2) are great, especially remote start, which I use every single day. This is not a car you can abuse. It is not something you can drive like a maniac and not maintain. When you consider the target audience for this car, that may be why they have so many issues. In my opinion $16,000 for a low maintenance car that lasts 9+ years without a single major issue is a good one.

about to blow motor #2
By kmac

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a royal pain for the last 5 years. I purchased it used in 2011. At my 1st inspection I was told that I needed new shocks and struts, 2 years later they needed to be replaced again. Next was the intermittent electrical issues: speakers work some of the time (thankfully at least 1 is always working) hit a pot-hole and all of a sudden there's surround sound! rear windows - one side never worked (except that one time my nephew puts it down and says "you liar! you just didn't want me to play with it" other side recently stopped working most of the time, headlights tail-lights and turn-signals oh my! once was pulled over for a headlight out and it came back on during the stop... And the kicker - the motor blew at 120,000 mi they said it was the timing chain and tried repairing it but were unsuccessful. I had the motor replaced adding $3,500 and another year to my loan. Three years later when it was finally paid off I was excited to drive it without a payment and save up for my next money pit but, no. The replacement motor has reached 120,000 mi and is showing signs that the timing chain is going bad - repairs start at $1700 and potentially "snowball" from there. No Thanks!

Petey's Cobalt
By David Peterson

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had very few problems. With the exception of the 5 speed manual transmission. Poorly designed manual transmission. The transmission end rail pin part number 90490900 keeps breaking. The car has left me stranded several times. Once this little pin snaps you have no connection to the transmission. You are either stuck in neutral or one particular gear. Wish I had chosen a 2008 it has a turbo instead of the supercharger and has 60 horsepower more. Back than a superchargers boost could not be varied without changing the pulley system. That has changed in recent years.

Back than a manual transmission was the way to go. A 5 or 6 speed manual beat a 4 speed automatic any day of the week.

Complete engine failure at 55,000 miles
By Me

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Second Chevy I've owned that died a very early death. Barely out from under warranty, well-maintained and not driven a ton, and the engine began knocking, screeching and cutting out spontaneously. Took it to a mechanic who informed me it would cost more to repair than the car is worth due to dodgy manufacturing.

Nothing but a headache
By Chelsea

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Seemed like a great car at first for the price but all went downhill as soon as I paid for it. The driver side door handle broke the first day, soon after the inside one. A month later a hole in the flex pipe came up making the car extremely loud. Mechanic shop said the part was $1,000. Yeah. With that came a ton of other problems to come up. I wish I wouldn't looked around a little more instead of falling for the sporty body style and if you have kids in car seats its a nightmare.