Used 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 186 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Nothing but a headache
By Chelsea

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Seemed like a great car at first for the price but all went downhill as soon as I paid for it. The driver side door handle broke the first day, soon after the inside one. A month later a hole in the flex pipe came up making the car extremely loud. Mechanic shop said the part was $1,000. Yeah. With that came a ton of other problems to come up. I wish I wouldn't looked around a little more instead of falling for the sporty body style and if you have kids in car seats its a nightmare.

fast and fun
By justin_phipps96@yahoo.com

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I have a question I love my supercharged cobalt but makes a noise in the front when you hit bumps and is annoying what could that be...

Engine is dying
By Greg

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car almost new. Now we're up to over 150K miles. Check engine light came on a couple of years ago. When I took it in, my repair shop said that one of the cylinders was misfiring. Apparently it was a flaw in the engine. (I think they said the cylinder was warped which caused it to lose compression which caused the misfire. I may be wrong. I'm not a car guy so please don't laugh if that doesn't actually make sense.) Anyways, about 9 months ago, my car started to stall out when idling at traffic lights. I took it back to the shop and they said that another cylinder had gone. There is nothing they can do to fix it apart from putting in a whole new engine. Now I'm driving around on 2 cylinders praying that someone rear ends me so I can collect the insurance money.

Manual is the way to go
By Rob

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my chevy cobalt for 5 years now. It is a 2 door coupe manual transmission. I have 145000 miles on it and the only thing that u have replaced on it is the suspension. Replaced it with Monroe shocks and struts because the stock is [non-permissible content removed]. It may not be quick but the best car I have ever owned

Good Cars With a Few Issues
By Jerry in Missouri

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, I think Chevy Cobalts are good cars. The issues they have are similar to ones the Cavalier had, which are a cheap front suspension which will most likely require a few repairs, and a few safety issues, namely side crash test scores (poor without side curtain airbags). I would recommend getting a 2008-2010 Cobalt if you are concerned about the side crash test scores because they automatically came with side curtain airbags as a standard feature. It's possible that an 05-07 could have gotten them as an option, but most likely not. The Cobalt is a solid, attractive car that gets good gas mileage. Reliability is pretty good. If you do buy any year Chevy Cobalt, make sure you check that it has had the recalls taken care of, as all Cobalts were subject to a few recalls pertaining to the ignition/steering column. These cars have a smooth enjoyable ride but if you go over a raised bump you will definitely feel it, and do your best to avoid bumps as the front suspension is somewhat fragile in my opinion. I have noticed that the Cobalts have really good body integrity--usually even the 10 year old Cobalts still look good with no rust or bumpers falling off, etc. UNLIKE the Cavalier, which tend to fall apart piece by piece unless they are babied. A few random cons for the Cobalt are: Trunk is hard to open, and lid is heavy; mouth of trunk is too small to take in larger items that might otherwise fit; backseat is very cramped with little legroom so plan on anyone other than a child or dwarf hating it. All in all, I might consider buying another of these cars if it had the features and appearance I wanted on one.