Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Great Car
By Madcatz

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

2.2L with 5-speed manual transmission. Great car, I've had no problems with it yet at 32k miles. I could not say enough about the awesome gas mileage I get out of it. I average 400 miles per tank of gas, usually about 420 miles, and have gone over 450 miles on one tank before. Gets about 39-40mpg at 50-55mph. But being as a manual transmission, gas stinks in traffic jams. A/C works great, it gets cold really fast. Heater warms up very quick in the winter.

Stick shift, fast warming heater and cooling A/C. Decent stereo with subwoofer. Drives great in the snow.

No arm rest for stick shifts? Very small back windows gives very big blind spot. Cramped back seat, no leg room.

Better than my Japanese made Mazda
By Craigski

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I tried the Cobalt for the price. At 45,000 no problems whatsover. Perfect? by no means. Dependable? Better than the Subaru & Mazda. True story... my son's brand new Civic had the steering column catch fire as he drove it from the showroom. I never laughed so hard as he said...Buy Japanese! The salesman turned tomato red. I laughed even harder!

I just buy cars for basic transportion, I don't have favorites.

Better front seat back support. Better speakers.

Pleasantly surprised
By Chris N.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted to give an American vehicle one more chance to impress me and the Cobalt been up to the task. I have the base model LS with only cruise control as an added option. It has gotten terrific gas mileage on long trips (36 mpg) and around town averages over 32 mpg. I have had no mechanical problems with it after almost 2 and half years of daily use. It still rides quietly and comfortably and has plenty of ummp! to merge into traffic on the highway. It seats 4 avg. size adults. My only complaints are lack of interior storage space and, while the storage capacity of the trunk is ample for an economy car, the trunk entry is too small. Other than that, for a daily commuter GM got it right.

Looks, especially the tail. Love the round taillights. Good gas mileage and it still has enough zip to have some fun in it. Info center is pretty extensive for a base model car. Good trunk storage capacity.

Put more thought into interior design (i.e. storage space) and trunk entry should be larger. Why not make it a hatchback?

Cobalt great
By sam

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have the 2.2 engine with a 5 speed manual transmission. I never get below 34 mpg even in the city. The car has plenty of power and the only maintenance needed is oil changes.

Driver info center, battery in the trunk

Trunk opening is small even though the trunk is big

My 2006 Cobalt
By smb

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new, when my 2001 Malibu went into the shop for the what seemed like the 100th time. Anyway after dumping over 8000 in repairs into this Malibu, I reluctantly bought the Cobalt since I was not impressed with GM. But this car didn't bring my confidence back, after 2 months of ownership my driver's side window wouldn't go down I took in and a couple days after getting it back the door handle fell off, and the whole inside door panel was loose after they had taken it off. and never could get back on right. And to top it off this car lost half its value in 12 months, not good.

The ride was nice for a small car, and the gas mileage

I thought the car was built with cheap materials, even the leather didn't hold up that well and I have only had the car 2 years and only 18700 miles.