Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 300 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Don't Buy it!
By Courtney

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Worst car ever. Like someone else said, it should have had a lot more recalls than it does. My car crapped out at 37,000 miles. First car problem I had was 2 months after I drove it off the lot. Your car shouldn't break down on the side of a highway when it only has 300 miles on it! I spent more time driving the rental cars because of the amount of time spent on repairs! I ended up letting it repo so I didn't have to deal with it any longer since the dealership wouldn't take it back.

It's a nice small car thats easy to park anywhere. I also liked the battery was in the trunk so you could jump front or back. Came in handy for all the break downs!

Chevy should take this car and start from scratch again!

Control Arm
By Annie

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The front end I going out. It needs a new control arm passenger window keeps moving slower and slower. So it needs a new control arm because the bushings went at 35,000 miles and the dealership refuses to fix it.

Not an ideal long term car
By gessvt

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car at the end of 2006, dealer took about $6000 off sticker. Car has had numerous repairs under the factory extended warranty, including 3 sunroof replacements. Car also eats brake rotors. Recommend buying the best rotors out there if you want to get mileage out of them; have them bedded as well. Car is starting to show rust bubbles on hood, truly a shame since it gets washed and waxed on a regular basis. Painted interior materials flake away. Rattly steering column noises. Wheels corroded after about a year. No engine or transmission troubles yet. I hope to get a couple more years out of it, but by then it will be a disposable car with no trade-in value. Avoid.

Smooth 2.4 L engine, respectable power, great fuel economy.

Hopefully now that GM has exited from bankruptcy, they will try not to "cost engineer" their entry level models as much. The Cruise should be a big improvement.

Driver side door will not open
By UpsetCustomer

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Went to lunch found my drivers side door would not open. 2x before lock issues. Supposedly fixed by Riverton. Apparently not. Two weeks after same issue. Took 8 months to get it fixed. They had my parts on the shelf and never called me back. Closed the repair order waiting for payment from the warranty company. Now the damn door will not open. Want to charge me $150 just to tell me what is wrong. I cut my panel, reached in, all of the mechanisms are working. Still cant get it open. This is a recall problem. Check the web and see how many others have the issue. I refuse to pay and I will continue my journey to find someone to fix my car at no charge. Never buy a GM again.

I do a lot of driving. Has been reliable. But the recalls on it and the damn door not opening is so bad. The customer service is horrible too. I feel like I have been scammed again in life.

Tell Riverton Chevy to get off of their bottoms and do some work. I have two recalls and now the door. They were the last to work on the cars door locking issues.

Bad Car!
By Cody

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Well I bought it hoping for it to be my "reliable vehicle". Just after I bought it the sensors kept setting something off and making it kill. Now the front end I going out. It needs a new control arm. Then slowly the passenger window kept moving slower and slower and now will not move. Then my whole sunroof switch fell out 1 day. The car is crap. So I am not at all avoiding the problems that I wanted to. This vehicle is just creating more. It should've had many more recalls. I used to really like Chevrolet, but now I'm not so sure I will buy one once again.

sunroof, and quite comfortable inside. i am 6'2" and have room in it.

Just plain better quality into parts and focusing on long life driving not just to 30k.