Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 300 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Worst Car EVER!!!
By ihatecobalts

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car new and has been nothing but a headache. New gear shifter (It locked down and wouldn't shut off or let me put in park), had the get the gas tank fixed twice, oil pan cracked, pulley snapped off, and at a whopping 89000 it blew up. This car is JUNK off the charts LEMON. Money pit no dealership even wants to mess with it. Its past the warranty but the 100000 power train warranty doesn't hold up. Never buy this car..EVER it will leave you stranded several times for hours with kids. NO ONE ever stops anymore. It also over heats for NO reason got it checked by the dealership.

I like the way it looks, good gas mileage when it runs, keep tire tread because it don't last long running, paint stays cause its always in a garage. Stereo is the best asset of the whole car. The rims are pretty.

Just junk the line. This car is crap. New motors, new shifters, new radiator supports, new motor mounts, new valves, new alternators, new pulley system, new gas tank...I don't want to blow up or get high off fumes. Thanks Chevy just proved to me I stay with FORD.

06 Cobalt LT automatic
By jflowers1

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Very nice car but have had some problems along the way. We bought the car used with about 80k miles a little over a year ago. So far we have had to put an air conditioner compressor, steering stabalizers, and now fuel injectors in it. Little more than expected but still a good car. If your considering buying, try to find a good cheap mechanic bc these problems and more will arise most likely especially when you look at reviews for anyone that has had the car for a bit. There was a recall for the fuel injectors but the recall didn't cover our VIN number which is rediculous, it has all the same signs and symptoms listed, they just don't want to fix it.

Favorite is the comfort, the gas mileage,and it was a cheap car. We paid $6,500 for ours from a high end used dealer so I wouldn't pay much more if your in the market for an 06 model and not an SS of coarse. We took a road trip and actually got 35 miles to gallon on the interstate and we average 25 from work to home.

The only real improvement needs to be under the hood as far as quality of parts... A/C Compressor, fuel injectors, steering stabalizers, and have seen alot of problems with fuel pump so we know that's coming next.

Best I've Ever Had!
By cjanenem

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I love my car! It has great mileage, comfy and
plus plenty of room in the trunk.

outstanding sound system

usb outlet

Maybe I'm jinxed? Oh wait.. it's not me; it's the Chevy
By j_123

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Std. It's very shiny and pretty, comfortable to drive, good on gas, handles well... it just has a FEW issues. I'm trying so hard to give it the benefit of the doubt: "poor little car! I'm sure now that it's been fixed AGAIN it will run fine... it'll be ok this time". But no, time and time again it breaks down with the same issues. Eek.

Please see the following issues, which are not listed in chronological order so please don't "diagnose" the issue based on the following order. I have taken the car to 4 different shops: 2 different GM dealerships and 2 privately owned shops. Still, no luck solving the issues. Tons of money spent fixing the car! Money pit.

Issue # 1: Aluminum Oil Pan. I'm driving to my Grandfather's memorial. The ceremony is at the graveyard and it's a short gravel road to get there. A small stone hits the oil pan and blasts a hole through it. Engine seizes. Paid over $3000 to have a new/used engine put in it. Aluminum, what the heck?! And the worst day ever for it to happen! Issue#2: Sun-roof Button Falls off. It's hot out, you want to open the sunroof so you push the button... the whole contraption/case falls off in your hand and the button itself dangles. You get it fixed, it happens again. Issue#3: Key Sticks in Ignition. You turn the car off, try to remove the key, it sticks in there. You turn the wheel, still nothing.

Issue #4: CD Player Display Issue. The CD player randomly has weird glowing boxes display across it. You can still play music but you can't see anything on the display except all of the glowing boxes, and you can't change the channel/volume/device. Issue#5. Check Charging System. Car enters battery save mode. You'll loose power in steering, breaks, radio, A/C, lights, airbags, dash displays, guages, etc. Car looks like it is off but still drives, no breaks. It will then stop dead in the middle of road and you will not be able to move shifter into nuetral to push it to side, nor will your hazard lights work. Have had battery and alternator replaced; still has same issues. Happens once/month.

It's an okay car.
By dqirving

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was my first car. It was a really beautiful gift! However, I got the car in early May and I live in Texas and my A/C never really worked (And my signal had issues). Roughly two weeks after getting the car the Power Steering went out on me. Then I get the car back and it's been okay. The air still does not work and I haven't had the car for two months yet. I'm already trading it in because the dealers sold me a car that had problems that they weren't willing to fix in the first place because it would cause the price to jack up and then it would be nearly impossible to sell. Overall, I loved driving that car and it got me to and from, but it was pretty small, being that it is a coupe.

The comfort. Sound system was nice. Rides very smooth!

More fuel efficient. That tank had to be filled up a little too often for my liking. Fix the power steering problem. I have a friend whose dad died because of the he car stalling on him and he got smashed into. It wasn't a cobalt but it was a Chevy.