Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Orange SS
By JohnR

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great car. I drive a lot of highway miles. Have about 10K on it already. I can get up to 33-34 mpg on the highway. I'm a big guy, 6'1" 245lbs and I fit just fine in it. That was my worry before I test drove it, but I checked it out and there's plenty of room for me. The only thing that I'd like to change is the seat material. I got the sport cloth and it seems kinda cheap, so I will get leather put in eventually with custom seats. My brother, who has a Lexus IS300, loves my car. He says it really flies, and handles really well. The SS suspension is really tight and stiff. The engine growls when you punch the gas, and the auto tranny is really smooth.

Fast, smooth engine. Good horsepower for a 4cyl.

The turning radius in the SS models is terrible. Hard to make a uturn sometimes. Other than that, there's nothing to improve upon IMO.

2006 Cobalt LT review
By GAM

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Cobalt since Sept. I do think the gas mileage could be better for it being an economy car. I also think the trunk opening is horrible, you have a hard time getting anything in or out. Once its in there the size of the trunk is decent though. I think the steering is odd. I feel like I am all over the road in it . I had a BMW before this so I am not sure if I am just used to that steering or not. I do like the body style look and the interior is fun, gets a lot of compliments. Stereo is good. The option package I have is great. It has everything the BMW had minus a moonroof. Overall it's an OK car. I wouldn't buy another one and recomending it to others I am not sure about.

I like the options it has. Controls on the steering wheel and the on board computer and its options are great for the overall price.

The trunk opening is a joke. That needs to be improved. You have the hardest time getting anything in or out.

Good so far
By Jeff

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking at all the usuals. But I could not afford a VW, the Mazda only had like a 2yr 24,000 warranty, the Toyota dealer would not give me the time of day, and the Accent was too small. So between the Focus and Cobalt the Cobalt won. Mine is stripped, no add ons. Good ride, but cheap tires. Getting 30-33 MPG. Decent interior, but cheap plastic on the door sills. Big trunk. Roomy for a compact car. 11,000 miles on it and no problems except for a flat tire. Had a bit of molded rubber on the bead, dealer fixed. It will get out of its own way, but not a hot hatch. Can't beat the price

Price. Roomy for a compact. Big trunk. Good ride. Decent MPG A lot of car for the money.

Handle to lift trunk. Cheap tires. Grainy plastic on window sills, my elbow hates it. Shifter (5 spd) is just OK

Arrival blue, SS coupe
By Katiebug12199

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my Cobalt. I've had it for 5 months now. I came from a Honda Civic and never imagined I'd afford a car with this much power. People stop me to tell me how much they love the car and the color. I drove it from MD to TN with no problems. It's had minor issues with the shifter and rotors but the car had been sitting for a while before I bought it and it was fixed right away for me. It's fun and sporty. All my friends want to drive it but I'm not ready to get out of the driver's seat yet. I can't wait to personalize it with some aftermarket parts. I started out years ago in an 89' Cavalier Z24 that was passed on to me and hope this one lasts just as long.

The color, the wheels, the stereo, the overall look and feel of it. I've never owned a "new" car before but the technology amazes me. Chevy is a good brand name.

I'm only getting 21mpg in the city.On a road trip it got up to 28mpg hwy but dropped back down when I returned.It can't make tight turns.As little as it is you'd think it would spin right around. Also, the view out the back is horrible. I'm always afraid of hitting something. The front end is too plain.

2006 Chevy Cobalt LT
By Bowtieboy50

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love everything about this car. I bought this car and put 20% tints on it and it looks real good.

I love the exterior design of the car. Great lines. I also like the 2 tone seats

Need more of a wheel selection