Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Horrible Quality
By B

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has horrible build quality. I have to be back to the dealer at least one time per month to have something fixed. My car has leaked water inside of it already and it didn't even have 9000 miles on it! Do not buy this car at all. Do yourself a favor an buy an import!!! Also have you even seen the safety ratings for this car, side impact is terrible without side- airbags, which the 08's most have on them, I wonder why that is.............

The only improvement needed is to stop making all of the parts for this car in Mexico, and build it in Europe and in America where the good cars are made!!!

Best 4 cyclinder out there.
By Ron

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have over 18,000 miles so far and the car has been great. I am averageing 32.5 mpg which is higher than I expected when I purchased it. The car is quite for its price range and handles like a dream.

The leather heated seats in a car of this price range are great.

My only wish is that they would offer the direct injection/tubocharged engine they have in the HHR/pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky. I would trade in if it comes out next year. I am a big believer in the luxury compact car concept.

10,000 recap on SS 2.4 auto
By azdiva

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

07 is last production year of SS models. Not to many made. engine flawless, vvt low maint timing chain. Proven drivetrain. exc handling, performance, and economy 25 mpg city. great a/c in 115 temps. windshield angle not extreme blocks heat and sun. suspension tight and rigid,great brakes,all you need for defensive freeway driving. Out accelerates most cars. Body tight. Composite graphite dash better than vinyl for durability in heat.power features galore. rfid passkey 3. effective fog lamps. Auto lighting is great,lumbar and thigh supports, trunk and not hatch with wiper, battery in rear, oil filter element on top. this car rocks. resale? i'll wait a few years let the market decide.

Handling, accelertion, ease of maintenance. Comfort and visibility. 17" alloys great aftermarket accessories. Matched drivetrain. Parts availability and cost. Best buy in used cars if you could find one.

A little more sound insulation, led tailights, more throaty exhaust sound.

Cobalt is level 2
By tommyntonya

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle in Oct. of 06. Since then I've noticed a very annoying medium tone whistling coming from the underside of the vehicle. Other than that I generally get 32 mpg. overall city/hwy. The interior is laid out well while the exterior has a very appealing Japanese styling. I am a little disappointed at the aftermarket options for this specific model, although there is a turbo kit that is said to add some serious power, well above the output of the ss/sc. Overall I would say this car has one of the best price to value ratios on the market.

More aftermarket options.

Great Car
By sushidog

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

In 25k miles I have had no repair or warranty issues. It handles well in the twisties (drove "tail of the dragon" and "hellbender" in the NC mountains). It accelerates and stops like a much more expensive car, yet it gives great gas mileage for a 15.35sec (my actual 1/4 mile time)n/a 2.4l 4cyl. automatic. It's only slightly modded (I/H/E/&tune) Fit and finish are great for a $17.4k Chevy economy car.

I love the computer readouts. My actual mileage on my last 150 mile hwy trip was 37.9mpg, between 60-70mph. Plus it has a great, stock pioneer sound system.