Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 300 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Not bad so far.
By skypfry550

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the vehicle four years now. I declined to return it after the four year Smart Buy. I'll own it in three more years. 50,000 miles on it. No problems whatsoever except for the radio, which I had to replace at about 40,000 miles. It's been very reliable. I took a leap of faith by keeping it. I hope not to encounter any major problems before it hits 100,000 so I'm gonna continue keeping it serviced regularly and take it easy out there.

The Pioneer radio system was awesome before it went bad. Acceleration is pretty sweet. Inexpensive. Good gas mileage.

Cheap interior plastics.

Cobalt delivers
By Al

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Cobalt is a great value, handles well, gets up and goes. Mileage is excellent. I'm over 6' and there's plenty of room for me. I love the coupe styling and there's plenty of room for my tools and materials in the trunk. Constantly surprised what I fit in there. I would buy another given a second chance.

The mileage, the handling, and the pickup.

Aux input to the sound system.

cobalts arent so bad ,tc;s crash bad
By michael

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i bought an 06 cobalt and tricked it out for my niece,i liked the car and wanted to keep it ,it getws knocks from really dumb journalists,,its so quiiet it needs a light to tell you its on ,hates poor roads,would like iraqi roads,bush and arnold are anti safe roads,any way it has lambogina paint and 18 in chromes,looks very expensive ,im inntoit 9850....

recaro type seats that support 800 lb gorilla,100k paint,may be repaint,corvette type gauges gaugs lok expensive

new rear suspenion,thats solve with the nifty new chevy cruise and nifty 1.4 turbo,hits the spot for americans

Great car overalll but could be better
By Rich

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got this to replace my old pickup, I think its a great car for the price. Went on a 1100 mile road trip, gas mileage ended up being 40.1 mpg on highway. I fit more than I know in the truck during my travel and performance only decreased on hills. I've had to replace the control arms and wheel bearings shortly after I got so I'm assuming the last driver drove it hard. Luckily under my warranty. The thing I'm not about is the interior quality. I replaced the stereo to allow iPod integration. The seats stain easily. I feel like I may break some pieces of plastic when I clean. Overall, I cant complain. I've put ~15,000 miles on it and its a fun car.

Peppy engine that can get great gas mileage.

Better quality interior, new stereo, the newer ones have better stereos.

A diamond in the rough
By pawntec

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I had low expectations for this car because I only bought it for the mpg (which became much higher after adding in an aem cai and an 2.25" cat-back) it was much faster after a few upgrades. I was able to keep up with Civic si's (both 2dr & 4dr) & some times beat them if I can keep the tires from spinning from a dig. Got to love that torque which is lacking & higher stock cobalt ls vs. Stock Civic si. But had to upgrade clutch after first year :-d. Anyways it's a great tuner car just wish the market would embrace the mighty cobalt which gm already helped with there ecotec recipe book look it up trust me you'll want one to after reading through the stage upgrades 4 gm doing the R&D for you already

torque, mpg (35-40 hwy/25-30 city), sleeper status, great rear-end ;-) i love a good rear-end if you know what i mean, good drive-train, good balance once stiffen up a bit & predictable while on track if setup correctly

some touch points, interior, wheels, lsd should be standard, more hp/tq & mpg+(but never could have enough :-D), maybe add in some boost stock, more tuned chassis, stiffer around corners & power everything standard.