Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

This car has been fantastic!
By Brent

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my wife brand new and we currently have 37,000 miles on it. Other than having the key get stuck in the ignition (fixed under warranty) and replacing front brake pads, we haven't touched the car. It gets great gas mileage and looks good to boot. Could'nt ask for anything better.

Interior, gas mileage

Change out XM to Sirius.

Major Issue - Stay Away From The Cobalt
By Rob P.

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Unfortunately, I recently found out that the Chevy Cobalt utilizes an electric power steering system as opposed to a hydraulic system found on all other cars. The electric steering system has a high failure rate and the average cost for repair is $2k. I am one of those unfortunate owners and will have to sell my car because of this issue. No recall notices by GM and I don't anticipate one. After avoiding American cars for 20 years, I made the mistake of re-entering the GM/Chevy market and I'm sorry I did so. Because of this, I plan on not ever purchasing another GM vehicle. Very sad.

Wind noise from windows; key becomes stuck in ignition; multiple radio failure; brake rotors and drums rusted in less that 1,000 miles.

My new car
By Kristine

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car because I read a lot of positive reviews on it. Then the test drive came and I loved it. I used to drive a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Laredo but I was a victim in a car crash and it was taken away from me. So safety was my key concern and let me tell you, I feel safe in this car!

The windshield wipers are great! The driver seat height is cool also, you pump your chair up or down. Also that fast that you can see all the gas, coolant and oil specs with a push of a button.

The back seats are kind of thin, I would make them a little more meaty for comfort.

Great little car
By cobalt

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used <10000 miles, now have 54000, aside from tires and oil changes no repairs needed. Have had many people of other makes ride in it all compliment the ride. Great gas mileage, have gotten up to 37 highway on extended trips, mostly around 32 daily.

Different material for seating that dosen't show spots, and offer windows and locks standard like some other cars for the same price.

This car is so fun to drive
By SEXYmans19

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought this car I've had no real common problems. But a lot of people have giving me a lot of compliments on the car. The gas mileage is great. I had 36.5 mpg before I accidently reset it.

Gas mileage and looks

A little wind noise on the highway