Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 249 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Love the car even thou I had many prob's
By CobaltSSgurl

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I was like others & waited patiently for the dealership to get one of these cars in. This was the car I wanted to own!! I loved everything about this car until it hit 13k miles, the engine light continued to come on & off until I traded it a couple of weeks ago with 97k miles. It was a sad day because I had finally got all the kinks out of the car, but I was worried about the supercharger going next. No telling how much that was going to set me back. I thought just because this was a 4 cylinder car that it would be cheap to maintain, but I was wrong. Premium gas only & oil changes are anywhere from $75 - $85 a pop, synthetic oil only. The boost gauge also went out around 20k miles.

Hot, sexy, fast car!!! When you need to pass someone, you can in 5th gear & only apply a little pressure to the gas. This car is a silent predator :)

I have no other improvements other than to find out why the engine light constantly stays on, why your brake light will flash as you are going down the road, the weird knocking that comes from the back side panel of the passenger side & take the silver plates on the doors & replace them with black.

Turn Around
By Turn Away

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

First year: Radio replaced twice due to shorts, door panels replaced twice due to peeling, instrument cluster replaced was shorting out, a/c blower replaced was making lots of noise. Power steering went out now 1200 repair. Any review you see that is good, theyre lucky. Stay away from this car like the plague, never will buy chevy again! Emailed GM with my issues and they have never contacted me. They have issues with their cars and don't care....safety concerns....WARNING STAY AWAY!!!

Does accelerate quickly and handle well when the electric steering is working

Poorly made car inside and out. Everything is cheep, handles which peel, emblem in rear, peeling, door fabric stains easily and peels. Should be sent back to drawing board!

Great car so far
By jo26

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great so far. I bought it over two years ago and it is currently at around 60000 miles. The car gets fairly good miles per gallon, but it goes down considerably when you drive above 65 miles/hour. The cost of the car is also very affordable. (kind of a long cons list, but they are all pretty minor things)

The cost, for a small car it is fairly spacious, nice exterior look, so far no engine problems, never had a problem starting even in very cold weather (i.e. ND winters).

The seats could be more comfortable, the factory windshield wipers are poor, some minor interior design flaws, would be nice if it came with power windows/locks, keyless entry and cruise standard.

this is why imports are better
By jhodges83@yahoo.com

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've always had import cars. I've had an 02 eclipse and a 03 Audi 1.8t. Due to the economy and a recent child I need to get something a little more reasonable. I found an 05 cobalt an decided to buy it. Well now I've had it for a month an I'm mad about it. The thing is junk. It looks like a big piece of plastic. The inside looks looks cheaply made. Even my base eclipse looked an drove a of a lot better then this.

NONE

the seats are the most uncomfortable i've ever sat in.

POWER STEERING
By TODD W.

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Cobalt is a fun car to scoot around town but the reliability of this vehicle severely lacks the dependability that a Chevy product should have. This is the 2nd time I've had to put vehicle in shop because of the power steering problem. If dealership can't fix the problem, why don't they admit to it and possibly buyout the vehicle or offer a refund on balance of loan - to put toward another vehicle (not GM). This continuing problem has changed my mind about GM products (not to the better).

Power of a 4 cylinder - when it is working properly. The fuel economy is great. The easy mobility in traffic. The fold down back seats.

Upgrade on the interior...upholstery.