Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Trustworthy
By John

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This has been one my better vehicles ever. Except for a factory replacement of the fuel level sending unit a few days after purchase, (it wasn't gauging correctly), I've had no problems. My wife uses it for a 50 mile daily commute and it keeps on going. It still runs like brand new and drives as straight as new, hasn't needed an alignment as of yet.

Acceleration is brisk and handling is more than sufficient for crowded freeway driving. Responsive brakes and smooth ride. Oil changes are a breeze. The fold-down back seats have been more than handy.

Occasional glitches in the automatic shift lever, you have to be careful with the lock button. The window noise at road speed is a bit annoying. The stock stereo is a bit anemic, I replaced the door speakers with aftermarket and that helped.

Chevy Cobalts. Good Gas Mileage. Reliable
By Mike

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I own a 2005 Chevy Cobalt LT 4 Door sedan, and I must say that this car has been extremely reliable. I average about 800 - 1000 miles a week driving on this car for work, and it has held up well. It currently has 166,000 miles on it and no major work needed. I don't care what people say about Chevy and GM, they do make wonderful cars. We also own a 2001 Malibu with 232,000 miles on it. An 2006 Equinox with only 19,000 miles on it and a new 2009 Cadillac CTS. All have required only minor work and maintenance done to them. If you keep up with the maintenance they will be reliable cars. We have twins that will be driving soon, and they will be getting the ever reliable Malibu and Cobalt

Fuel economy is excellent. I average around 30 - 34 MPG with mixed highway and city driving in Southern California.

Interior could be redesigned.

It's a gamble
By Gene

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Based on the other reviews it's clear that if you get a sound Cobalt it's a good purchase. The car my wife and I bought was dangerous right off the bat. Aprox. 2 weeks after purchase while going 40-45 mph the car died. A wiring harness had to be replaced. Since then it's been back to the dealership for numerous repairs.

The car's peppy.

Don't turn such a poorly executed car loose on the public. For a few dollars more per unit you could have made a great little car.

It's OK, if you have no other choice
By Leona

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car 4 years ago (in January) and when the lease is up, it's gone! Don't get me wrong, the car gets great mileage, and it's fun to just step on the gas and go! But it's a really light vehicle, and I get afraid of driving thru a puddle on the highway. I've had to bring it to get fixed twice, and it's had a recall. The gas gauge also never says that the tank is completely full, something that's evidently a recurring, "accepted", problem for Chevy cars..

Gas mileage, good speakers, driver info center, looks, trunk space is generous for a small car, handles well

Get a CD player that doesn't say "LOCK" half the time. The key gets stuck in the ignition a lot. Make the car a little heavier, the lining in the trunk has come out and hangs over the sides, the seats are uncomfortable, and the back seat is small for an adult to sit in

So happy
By kayla

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Cobalt for 2 reasons. It's mileage was 10x better then my Jeep, and secondly my boyfriend who happens to be 6'5 could actually drive it. It's great for long trips and does wonderful in Indiana's winter season.

I love the heated leather seats and the spacious backseat for the carseats to fit in.

Would have to say that the windows need to be slightly tinted if the car has leather seats, it will help the seats not to discolor.