Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

this is why imports are better
By jhodges83@yahoo.com

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've always had import cars. I've had an 02 eclipse and a 03 Audi 1.8t. Due to the economy and a recent child I need to get something a little more reasonable. I found an 05 cobalt an decided to buy it. Well now I've had it for a month an I'm mad about it. The thing is junk. It looks like a big piece of plastic. The inside looks looks cheaply made. Even my base eclipse looked an drove a of a lot better then this.

NONE

the seats are the most uncomfortable i've ever sat in.

POWER STEERING
By TODD W.

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Cobalt is a fun car to scoot around town but the reliability of this vehicle severely lacks the dependability that a Chevy product should have. This is the 2nd time I've had to put vehicle in shop because of the power steering problem. If dealership can't fix the problem, why don't they admit to it and possibly buyout the vehicle or offer a refund on balance of loan - to put toward another vehicle (not GM). This continuing problem has changed my mind about GM products (not to the better).

Power of a 4 cylinder - when it is working properly. The fuel economy is great. The easy mobility in traffic. The fold down back seats.

Upgrade on the interior...upholstery.

Average, But A Good First Car
By Cris

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Overall it's a good point a to b kind of car it's nothing special but it does what it's supposed to. I got it for around 10k used with 20k miles on it. Not a bad price at all, but unfortunately lacking in features. No power windows/locks; therefore no keyless entry either. It just surprises me that these features aren't standard these days. Every car should have them. The Cobalt is a great car for a first time driver though; it's cheap, fuel efficient, got a little bit of power, and doesn't look half bad in most colors (mine is white and it's really not the best looking color for the car). Standard cruise control would be nice too.

Pretty fast for a little 4 cylinder. Has pretty good gas mileage, not great but it's alright. What I love the most is that it displays oil % and other important features right underneath the speedometer in an easy to read and navigate display.

I've had a few problems with my 05 Cobalt, that I'm not entirely sure are the car itself or the owner before myself. AC makes a whistling birdy sound and sometimes leaks. CD player won't read CD's sometimes giving me an ERR message. Other than that just the power windows/locks issue.

Electric Power Steering As Useless As GM
By sgtsquarepants

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first brand new car I've ever bought. It's now been back to the dealership at least 10 times for various reasons. Half of which Chevy wouldn't fix. Now the topping on the cake is I'm driving down the road and the power steering simply quits. After researching the problem, it appears that this is happening to a HUGE number of vehicles. This is EXACTLY why GM is dying and I say good riddance. I'll never buy a GM product again.

None

Recall the steering problem.

Never Buy This Car
By Meg

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car in 2008. Been down hill since day 1. W/in the 1st week, the rear passenger window seal was bad, several fuses had to be replaced, the key got stuck in the ignition and the entire steering column was replaced bc it wouldn't lock into gear. Still does it. The glove box rattles, the instrument panel lights don't come on when the headlamps are on. The clock constantly resets itself to 12:00. The trunk now rattles. The plastic interior scratches way too easily. I know it's not a Lexus, but GM could have done a better job. Will never buy GM again. All I can say is you'll defiantly be using that warranty! Be careful!

The ride is nice. It looks good, when the paint doesn't chip off. Comfortable for long rides. Gas mileage is good- 50 mile commute each day. Average sound system.

Better quality parts, period. We're all having trouble these days & the last thing we need is to invest more money into something that was so poorly built. Make more things standard, like windows and locks. It's 2009!