Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 249 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Gas King
By winglimit

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Cobalt since 2007 and the only major problem I've had was my fault (dinged the oil pan). Replaced the engine for less than $1,000 and was back on the road again.

Gas mileage is unparalleled. I usually get 35mpg+, sometimes up to 40mpg on long trips. I drive the hell out of this car and it never skips a beat.

My largest complaints are aesthetic: the model I have (2005 sedan, energy blue) looks cheapish. The interior seats aren't the most comfortable, but it's really only noticeable from the passenger side. >)

As this car ages, a few benign electrical problems have popped up, but nothing serious.

Great value if you're looking for a cheap investment and long-term savings.

Gas mileage! I have a long commute and this little car gets up and goes without sucking up gas. I frequently take long country drives on very little fuel. It's reasonably fast for it's small-sized engine. The top-loading oil filter is pretty handy and unique. The car is low, so you'd need a jack to get under there, but that problem is solved by replacing the filter from the top of the engine.

Interior seats need more padding (at least in my 2005). Could be more stylish. I don't like the auto-arming alarm because I don't have a fob, so it beeps whenever I get in. Needs to have a disable option. Doors covers are unreasonably hard to get into if you need to replace a speaker or switch, but from what I understand this is a Chevy problem and not a Cobalt problem. Not sure if this is true with all Cobalts, but some of the wiring for my headlight assembly just hangs out. Because of this, one of blinkers/parking lights has a short in it. The wires need to be clamped down to the side of the chassis and not allowed to rub against different things. Not a killer, but definitely a pain.

I have a orange 2005 chevy and i love it
By tricia23sc

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I am 23 years old and bought my car when i was 21. I have never had a issue with it except for the basics to keep it in good shape. I live in south carolina and the back roads aren't rough on my car but i do live in florida as well and the heat doesnt ruin the paint job. It gets great highway mileage as well as city, it costs me 40 bucks to fill up with gas prices $3.09 i am a college student so traveling is a must. If i was to recommend a car it would be this one! especially to any young driver or someone who wants a reliable car.

My car has over 100,000 miles and still runs great since day one

the radio works great, good speakers. the car isn't loud running also a plus! smooth riding but can get up and go, nice traveling car (has a big deep trunk) outside holds up to any other car i have had

New wheels
By kiki24

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i am a very pleased driver and owner of my fab new car that is perfect for me!!! its sleek and cool and cute just like me ;). and i love my dealer that sold me the car. mike c at barbabrino nissan in wallingford, ct

power

Worst car Ive ever owned hands down!
By dawgscj7

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

First off let me say that I have owned alot of cars like these, low end to mid range performance cars. Second off almost all these cars were forced induction cars. I bought this car with 60k miles on it, it currently has 91k on it. I have had it two years and Ive had to replace the transmission, clutch 2x, alternator, battery, plugs 3x, front ball joints. The car is always down during the time ive owned it, it has not run more than 90 days at any given time. The engine and trans are all saab and terribly designed and horrible to work on. the entire car was hastily manufactured with mediocre materials. the fit and finish of the entire are is horrible. 93 oct gas and full syn oil, why?terrible

Chevy failed again
By ncx35

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Not the worst car I've ever owned. Decent on gas, cheap plastic interior, cheap everything, minimal features, has been in the shop for major repairs 4 or 5 times in the 4 years I've had it, I just got it fixed the other day and the stupid check engine light is back. Rides rough, shakes and rattles when coming to a stop, rough idle, slower than a bicycle, less than great gas mileage for a 2.2 liter four cylinder engine. This will be my last American car, ever.

none.

crappy build quality, lacks power and features, all around lame car.