Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Nevermind...
By mikearcure

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm late writing this, but after having this car for 14 months I have to say it was worst car I've ever owned. My initial review was good, but I must've spoken too soon because not a few weeks later I started having major problems.
First, the rear passenger exterior door handle broke off during normal use. Then, the car made this terrible clunking noise under the passenger seat. I took it to multiple repair shops and no one knew what was wrong. Finally, the transmission went for no reason (mind you this was an 8 year old car). It was worse than my 13 year old Cavalier! As the cost to get a new trans cost more than the car was worth, I just junked it and bought a new 2013 Kia Rio.

The stereo was good I guess...

Just about everything except the stereo.

ignition recall
By wuzzle

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

my 2005 cobalt has 67000 miles they replaced the ignition within one week my car caught fire and does not run gm and the dealership say not thier fault how can a car with only 67000 miles never any problems always maintained go to a dealership for a recall and then not even run

Clunking and rattling everywhere...beware
By edgexpro

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Cobalt with only 67,000 miles on it. Since 40,000 miles there has been a horrible clunking in the front and rear suspension as well as a rattle from the steering column. I have taken it to a GM dealer and told to replace the struts, which I did with an independent shop, as well as sway bar links and bushings. This did not help anything and since then it has gotten significantly worse. Today, I replaced the lower control arms and that didn't help either. The moral of the story is this shouldn't happen on a car with lower miles.

Oil life monitor. Auto headlights

Build quality - suspension and interior.

Great Car for a Great Price
By mikearcure

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this car last month and I'm pleased so far. The car is very fun to drive and it's a great value. Styling is spot-on. My list of gripes is short. Any 2005 model car should come with standard power locks and windows and a headphone jack. No standard OnStar or center armrest. The storage bin is too small. However, most of these complaints are superficial. Overall, this is a great car that I would recommend to anyone looking for an American compact between $5,000 and $10,000. Just try to stay away from a base model car.

Styling, quality, and value. A lot of chrome accents around the gauges, shift knob, and door handles. A lot of hard plastic that actually feels of high quality. Many two-tone accents around the cabin. Everything is screwed together well. Overall it looks and feels like a premium sedan, not a cheap compact.

More standard features on the base models. A less buzzy sounding fan.

Bulletproof
By breannarae

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have to agree with Jason2012, I think the real problem you all are experiencing is operator error. My 05 Cobalt Coupe rides, handles, preforms and is more reliable than a lot of new cars my friends own. I have an extremely bad back and long trips in the car never irritate it, I find the seats very comfy. The suspension is unreal, it has nearly 150,000km on it and still runs like new. Never had any problems with it, but I always maintain it. I worked at a GM Dealer for quite a while and these cars don't often have problems. They have a bulletproof drivetrain. You could have this car for 300 000 km + if you maintain it. I just wish I had and upgraded model with more options than base.

The 5 speed manual is peppy and makes this a very fun car to drive. Love the exterior and interior styling. Very comfortable to drive, excellent fuel economy. I thought the back seats would be uncomfortable or very small, and they appear quite small, but don't find them too crammed or uncomfortable. Love the tons of truck space too.

Love this car, I just wish I had an upgraded model so I have more options rather than basic manual windows etc. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the cupholders placed directly below the heater controls on the dash. It is hard to get to the controls if you have a drink in the way.