Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

My Red Cobalt
By bitterdelight

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I like my car. I've had it just over a year. It's cute and runs well. I have had a couple of small issues that were covered by warranty and were not much of a pain at all. I get great gas mileage 38.2 freeway and 29.4 in town. That's good if you ask me. It has plenty of room for my son's carseat and fun to accessorieze too. It's my family car that's still sporty.

I love my chrome and the factory stereo is good.

I can't think of anything major off hand.

Power Steering Problems
By Beware!

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had several problems with it. Some aren't life threatening (like the power windows not working and the brake light flashing), but I've had a MAF Sensor short which caused the car to stop running while I was doing 60-65 MPH and the steering locked up. Fortunately, the car started back up. I've recently dealt with another steering issue. I was driving down an uneven/bumpy road and a "power steering" message came up on the information panel and the speedometer went out. The steering became very mushy and it was difficult to control the car. I've also dealt with the car not starting and the cab filling with gas fumes. There has been severe hesitation and loss of power when the A/C is on.

The suspension has been fine. That's pretty much the only plus going for the car.

GM needs to do away with the electronic steering until they get all the issues resolved.

Dont buy this car
By akztraylor

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for less than 2 years and it has been in the shop 7 times now. I am very disapointed in this car. I thought this would be a better car to own, now I can't wait to get rid of it!

Stop making it!

What a car!
By bizman

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have an early production model 2005 LS 4 door with all the options except a sunroof. It has the sport package with an auto tranny. I have been getting 38 mpg hwy and avg 31.4 mpg city/hwy. I love this car! So far with almost 30,000 miles and 2 deer hits, I've had no complaints and no problems. Just regular oil changes.

Quality if fit and finish inside and out. Great performance.

Better/larger trunk opening.

Think twice
By lil mah

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

At first the car was cool, however the problems began within 2 months. It's too small. The interior plastic paint chips. Factory (Perelli) tires are awfull in the winter. Rear light panel shorted out completely after two times in the shop to replace all back lights. The front end pulls to the left. Had the right passenger side axle and cv joint and boot replaced and it still still pulls to the left. The rental cars are better than my car. The wind blows you across the freeway. There's no leg room for your passengers, you feel like clowns. Tends to guzzle gas for a small car. It needs bigger rear windows (too much of a blind side) The suspension stinks. A poorly made car.

MP3, Pioneer 7 speaker and a 10'woofer. Heated leather seats. Dash lights are sporty. Rims. Large trunk space,but a small opening. Message center for the CD player. Color of the vehicle. The car is pretty zippy which is cool, however, the handling could be better.

Bigger trunk opening. Less plastic interior parts and needs better quality paint on the interior parts so they wont chip. Make the car a little bigger in the inside. Why is the battery in the trunk? Stop throwing the cars together, build them with better quality parts.