Used 1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:

97 CHEVY
By koryharper

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Good at first, had to change brakes and rotors, fuel pump, and intake manifold in first 1 1/2 yr. After that no problems then had to change tranny shift modulator. But other than that truck runs well with scheduled maintenance.

Seats are really comfortable and interior lights everywhere

Great truck
By cavercarl

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Great truck! On road, off road, hauling people/gear/building materials, whatever! 80,000 miles and NO PROBLEMS. Have had this vehicle in places where mud is up to the doors and Jeeps got stuck, and got out no problem. Anyone who hates this truck and says they will buy foreign next time is biased against American made vehicles to begin with. Relative has a Ford and has gone through a transmission, 2 sets of brakes, and 4 clutches in 27,000 miles. Friend has a Dodge which is a bit better, but not as good as Chevy. 3 friends with Toyotas all complain of bad handling, lack of power, lack of payload, boatloads of strange noises and frequent expensive repairs.

Gotta love the motor! Also, 19MPG is darn impressive for a loaded V8 truck with high rear end gear ratio. Friends with Fords and Dodges are hurting at the gas pump. Friends with Toyotas can't keep up on uphill stretches of highway.

Can't figure out why the frame rails drop down below the body in the center of the wheelbase, this hurts offroad clearance just a little, Chevy changed this on later models.

Like a Rock with a Cadilac Ride
By Walker

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Had this truck for 6 years. Nothing major at all. Replaced water pump @ 75000. Changed filters regularly and (Mobil) oil every 2500 miles. I am a firm believer in preventive maintainence. I don't abuse the truck, but I don't drive it like a little old lady either. I've had 7 Chevy used trucks in my life. I refuse to by new. Get the bugs worked out first. If this truck ever turns on me, I'll never buy a Ford or Dodge. Chevys obviously the truck for me!

The ride is awesome. The body style is second to none. The interior is layed out nicely. I have no wind noise or rattles as of yet. Solid Truck!!

I really can't think of any. It's hard to improve on quality.

Long Lasting
By Russ Woods

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

My truck now has 170,000 miles (2005) and still going strong. The only major issue I have with my truck is that I have had to replace the alternator 3 times since 82,000 miles in 2000 when I bought the truck. A good tune up, and new shocks and I'll be on the way to another 100,000 miles. I would drive it across the continent, provided that I carry an extra alternator for security.

The truck is comfortable. I like the power of the 5.7 litre engine. Tows well too. With 4,000 lbs or less, I can't feel any strain on the engine. I like it better than than the newer Chevy trucks.

Check the electrical system. I shouldn't have to replace the alternator 3 times in 3 years. Also, the brakes have always been a little spongy, but have functioned well.

Like a Rock
By Sharky

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck has been amazing. 140,000 brutal miles, and only two repairs. A high pressure line on the transmission burst at 62,000 miles, it cost $110 to fix at the dealer, and the water pump went out at 105,000 miles (another $100). Tomorrow I am replacing the front brake rotors and pads (it still has the factory pads) for $250. This truck has been driven hard and abused for seven years (but maintained well), yet it drives and looks like a year-old truck. I got my money's worth out of this one!

The 5.7 Vortec engine, the leather power bucket seats, the overhead console, the auto-dimming mirror with compass, the CD stereo, the 3rd door, the keyless entry, the ride, the power, the reliability.

This is my second C1500 extended-cab Silverado, both have had annoying differential whine at all speeds. More fuel capacity would be nice. The outside door handles feel junky, and the door hinges pop. The 1-2 transmission shift can be abrupt at times, yet the other two shifts are silky smooth.