Used 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Great Grocery Getter
By BCB

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car new in 2004. This was second Cavalier I have owned and both have been rock solid and dependable. My current Cavalier has 163,000 on it and the only problem I have ever had was a master cylinder for the clutch. Great gas mileage, reliable, and inexpensive, what more could you ask for. Chevy would have been wise to keep this one in production as there is a large and loyal customer base. If they were still made, I would certainly be buying another one. Not fancy, exciting to drive, or exotic, but there are lots of us who want to get from point A to point B without spending a lot and with minimal maintenance headaches.

Reliable, good gas mileage, and comfortable.

Bring them back. When the company is on the ropes, it is no time to bail on the tried and true.

Satisfied
By G in NC

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Chevy new in 2004. I have had only two problems: In 2006, my horn stopped working, and the airbag had to be removed to fixed the problem. A pricey fix but was covered by my warranty. Now at 56000 miles, my check engine light has come on and am told I need to replace an Oxygen sensor. No biggie. Overall, the ride in my car is comfortable but noisy in traffic. I am short, so I like that the car is more compact than others I've driven. I am not happy with the interior features: My dash has cracks from the sun, and the center console lid has completely fallen off. Other than that, I am happy with my purchase and love the gas economy. Good car for students!

Gas economy, size

Better interior features

Bought in 2005
By Mike J

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car for my daughter in late 2005. She went on to something else in 2006 so I've driven this car since then. No problems. This is a bottom end car for Chevrolet and I expected more issues. I see others that are beat to death but still run so I expect mine to run for a long time. This car will put a 6 cylinder older Mustang down without breaking a sweat and still get 25-26 mpg!

Mileage! Everything is in easy reach with simple controls. Lots of trunk room with the fold down rear seats.

Seats are not comfortable for trips but then maybe it wasn't really intended for that?

No Frills Ride
By Monkey Man

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Nothing really surprising about it. The EcoTec engine is much more powerful than the clunker they used to put in Cavaliers. The sheetmetal is paper thin and dents easily. I damaged my quarter panel and was able to repair it by removing it, stomping on it a few times with my sneakers and putting it back on. The metal is that thin! It has been pretty reliable so far without problems, but I'm nowhere near the 100K mile mark yet. Interior and road noise is higher than in the late 90's versions. Ride is choppier too due to the tighter suspension and the 14" wheels. Styling is nothing exceptional but it looks better than it used to. Ugly toilet flusher style interior door handles, ugh.

EcoTec engine, suspension is rather sporty for a 4 door. Plenty of room for a subcompact, Everything seems to work as advertised. Dash cluster is good, visibility is good.

Fit and finish needs work. Trim parts don't fit well. Rear seat dropdown uses a bizarre trunk only pull loop system. Sheetmetal is weak, easy to dent. My rear bumper had crazed/cracked paint on it. Lots of road noise. The only noisier car I've ever experienced is a 96 Kia Sephia in comparison.

Reliable, comfortable and great mpg
By love my cav

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car a little over 4 years and have 116000 miles on it. I only recently had to replace the fan assembly, otherwise only the regular brakes, tires, battery, etc. This has been a very reliable car with great gas mileage. I average about 28-32 mpg but have gotten as much as 38 on long road trips. This is my second Chevy product and I will buy Chevy again, both cars have been wonderful. I would like something bigger but this one is hard to give up.