Used 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews - 153 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Excellent Car
By Charlene

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been great to me. I bought it used with 21,000 miles on it. It used to be a rental, and I am amazed it hasn't had any problems. My dad really talked the price down for me because it used to be a rental. I got it for an amazing price. It nows has 91,000 miles on it and I've only need to do regular maitenance. I get approx. 35 miles on the freeway and 30 in town/freeway. I've replaced the brakes and tires, but no problems other then that. It has been a great car and I couldn't have asked for anything better. I've heard some bad things about owning a Chevy, but I don't have anything negative to say about mine. Maybe I just lucked out.

The gas mileage! Esecially with the horrible gas prices now.

My hubcaps squeak like crazy and they drive me nuts! Maybe a higher quality hubcap or bolt to hold them on.

worst car ever
By *

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Cd player doesn't work. The stick is hard to move and sometimes doesn't go into park and has to be shoved. Dashboard rattles. Mileage does not show up half of the time. Passenger side window does not go up, therefore it never goes down. Air conditioner wires cracked. I'm sure I'm forgetting things but I just can't remember everything wrong with this car. This is the worst car known to mankind, probably getting rid of it during the summer.

favorite features? not on this car.

I don't know where to begin, but the car is not longer in production, Wonder why?

Poor Car
By Dave

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car for my wife against my better judgment. (cars reputation) I was told that they had improved build quality. They have not!! The car only has 55000 km on it and something breaks every week. All new brakes at 40k, fan speed switch, lower control arm bushings, broken rear defrost switch that required a complete heater control unit because you can't just change switch!! etc, etc! Everything squeaks! Not even close to being is the same league as my last Toyota or current Subaru. Can't wait to get rid of this car. I will never buy another GM!!!!

Gets OK gas mileage. Still looks OK.

Build quality! Better engineering. Should be able to change out a button without having to put in a whole new unit. 2.2 ecotec very buzzy.

Good little road rocket
By bert

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought as a short commute vehicle, never a major problem. Taken on a few long road trips. Always faithfully maintained due to low mileage/time ratio. One window motor failed, replaced via warranty. Brakes at 25000, good mileage considering short city daily drive, and multiple stops per mile driven. Never any problems, mileage decent, wasnt bought as an economy car. This little vehicle with the dual overhead cams will perform, and looks nice too. The traction control/anti-locks work very well in a Chicago area winter. I have found no faults with it.

No problem running at higher speed interstate traffic in a quiet, comfortable way. It will also surprise cars costing triple the price on a twisting country two lane.

Not required. The car isn't made anymore

Fantastic little car. GM girl for life
By Amy

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

After having a baby in 2001, I was beginning to feel way too momish. I missed having a small sporty car and purchased this car new in March 2002. Loved the car from the very start, very comfortable and roomy interior ( rear-facing car seat fits easily in and out of the back seat), great handling, and quick/zippy performance from the 2.2L Ecotec engine. Unfortunately, I have a tendancy to drive my cars extremely hard and often forget about routine preventative maintenance (like oil). Oil was changed maybe 5 times. My engine siezed in April 2007 at 83K miles. I have since replaced the engine with a 2005 2.2L Ecotectand now running great. Even at 5 yrs old the interior looks almost like new.

Chrome alloy wheels, trunk lid spoiler, ground effects, and fog lights give this car a great sporty appearance.

Quicker power windows. GMs are notorious for having painfully slow power windows (when rolling up).