Used 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

The best $5500 I ever spent
By joebloe1

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2002 4 speed auto with 60K on the clock in 2007. It now has 147K. It has been absolutely reliable with routine maintenance.

With a set of Pirelli tires it handles great on our curvy roads. We average about 30MPG.

Minor problems with outside mirror, sun visor and cracked dash. Apparently due to poor choice of materials, workmanship or design.

The odometer works intermittently. There is apparently a bad connection. When you bang on the instrument cluster it works.

The seats are really uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

This is an inexpensive car that is very reliable. I expect to get well over 200K miles. If they still made them I would buy another.

Update 5/2016 miles ~ 187,00. Still runs like a new one. Replaced water pump while we were at it replaced timing belt, serpentine belt, plugs and valve seals. Supposedly you do not have to change ATF. I change mine every 60-70,000 miles using synthetic fluid. (Fluid is cheaper than transmissions.)

Average at best
By cav_rider666

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Cavalier for six years now and the car has treated me well. The interior is roomy and comfortable, however the build quality is terrible and I have a nice crack that formed on top of the dash.

The handling is ok if you drive sensibly, but the Cavalier isn't a blast to drive. It will do the trick to get you from A to B but you won't have much fun in the process.

The 2.2L OHV engine is reliable and relatively cheap on gas, but don't expect the same level of performance or sophistication as the japanese brands.

Overal the Cavalier was a good car for the price paid but there are far better cars out there.

My 2002 VL sedan came verry well equipped. The ABS brakes and traction control are great for our rough Canadian winters. The air conditioning is ice cold and the power door locks are convinent.

The Cavalier/Sunfires would have been good little cars if GM had improved the interior build quality. The hard plastics are cheap and age poorly, and I have many small trim peices (seat handles, window regulator handles) that have literally fallen off. The reliability of these cars is far from great. The control arm bushings, stock radio, alternator, fuel pump and exhaust all had to be replaced, totaling close to $2000 in repairs. Improved reliability would have also made these cars better choices. Finally the interior is loud. Better sound proofing would have made it more comfortable.

Never trust this car!
By lenoram

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2002 cavalier. I bought this car with 5k miles. Within 6 months of ownership my starter went out. Thank God for warranty. After my starter was fixed more problems arised.
I want to say I bought a used car. Electrical problems, broken trunk, broken sunviser, problems with my headlights, seat belt broken, and other problems under the hood. I HATE this car.

There is nothing I like about this car.

A better quality car all the way around.

Super Great Car
By Gracie

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have loved this car. Although it isn't fancy, it has done me well. I haven't any major issues with it. I did have to replace two of the power window motors, the starter and the water pump, but all together less than 500.00 in almost 5 years. Never had any sign of trouble, and it always gets me to where I need to go. I have taken it on several 1000+ miles trips with no problems.

MPG, and the power features.

Power window motors were made a bit cheaply.

2002 Cavalier LT Sedan
By C,Diddy

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is unspectacular. The ride quality and performance is below average. But,I love it for being extremely reliable and cheap to operate. Good on gas and oil. A.C. only works 100% when vehicle is moving. ABS and traction control light goes off and on, and I have a strut in the front that needs to be changed. But, like I said, RELIABLE and CHEAP! I have 103,000 km on mine, and I have no doubt it will last for as long as I need it to.

Efficient on gas and oil

Cup holders are placed directly in front of the heating and cooling controls.