Used 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews - 153 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Get what you pay for
By Gabe

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm still driving my Cavalier and I have to say that it's not too bad considering the price. Obviously it's one of the more inexpensive cars out there, so expect what you pay for. The key phrase here is "preventative maintenance." As long as you get regular oil changes and check-ups, the Cavalier will hold up. Will say that it seems to run into problems on very wet days, especially when running through puddles. Not too enamored with the crash ratings but, again, you get what you pay for. Couple of expensive repairs but confident they are isolated incidents and don't affect the overall dependability of the Cavalier. Remember, it's a cheap car. Don't expect a Porsche out of it.

ABS brakes, CD player, manual crank windows (never again after a $400 power window repair on my previous car).

Sturdier frame, especially one that holds up well in a crash. Better resistance against water.

Good starter car
By Erica

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I like the sporty look of the outside and the ease of driving it. However, the seats could be more comfortable and the alloy rims are very expensive to replace. It has the basic features I need and is a good starter car.

CD player, keyless entry, black interior

Better seats and more features

Great Vehicle
By Mike C

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A near perfect car with outstanding handling, good fuel ecomomy (30+), and very comfortable. I am very satisfied with my Z24. Your web site is incorrect when it states that all of these have 5-speed manual transmissions. Mine has a four-speed automatic transmission with traction control. That is not available with the 5-speed manual and does make a substantial difference in value. I am a professional used car and truck buyer that attends auto auctions weekly. I am very familiar with the actual wholesale and retail values. Your site is does not contain realistic values for many of the vehicles I researched on it.

The suspension is great. Very balanced, very little tourqe steer with just enough power to make driving fun. It holds the road like it is on a rail. I have not had even one problem with this car in four years.

Split folding rear seat and side air- bags (which Chevrolet added to the 2003 model.) Your web site is incorect in booking out this car. You state that there are no factory accessories for this vehicle and that they all have a 5-speed manual transmission. That is not true.

A Great Car For the Money
By Matt

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car with just 55K and so far it needed nothing and is holding up quite well. The little 2.2 is more powerful than you would think and the transmission is smooth. Fuel economy is an average of 35-40 MPG. The AC and heater are strong and the CD/cassette player has great sound and is RDS equipped. The interior while well designed is full of cheap plastic but its still holding up well. The seats are comfortable but look and feel cheap. Interior room is not bad for a small car.

Economical, peppy engine. Smooth transmission. Awsome Stereo System. Interior room. Trunk release not located in glove box like older Cavaliers. Traction control.

Bring back the 3.1 V6. Trunk roomy enough but the opening is small. Better quality interior materials and seats. Traction control should have a shut off feature besides shifting it into 1st or 2nd.

I was satisfied...
By Martin

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2 door Cavalier w/manual transmision in 2002 as replacement for lease of the same brand and make. I drive anually about 30000 miles and that car did all the hard work for me. I properly maintained; changed oil every 3K to 4K miles plus all the required maintenance. However I have to admit that car is loud, not comfortable, not even sporty - thank to decade old body and engine design, but it will do a run for you if you need. It has never let me down or broken on me even after 97 200 miles that I drove on it. I hope that new owner will like it because I just recently trade it for Honda. Good luck and many miles without problems.

Power of engine. Car is not sporty but it will do the job no matter how rough you are on it. Just change oil and properly maintain it and it will be there for you. ABS, A/C, remote access+trunk release...

Design, get rid off the hard plastic and improve engine. 2.2L engine with only 115HP is not that great. GM stop liquidate value of your cars by selling new cars over priced. Mine cost 3 years ago 13K and trade it in for 3.4K...it is 80% less than original value after 3 years and 4 months.