Used 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Reliable & sporty 2001 Z24
By Dano

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased our 2001 Chev Z24 new & it doesn't owe us a thing. We replaced the plugs,tires & battery this year (2009)after 120,000 km.'s of all kinds of Canadian weather & road conditions. It has a rattle coming from the front tire area which I suspect it's a bad strut. All in all not bad performance for a car creeping up on 10 years old. It is a 5-spd. & is fun too drive with plenty of "omf" when you need it. One of our better large purchases in our lives. I would recommend it.

The body lines and the zip you get out of the 2.4 litre engine are my favorite features.

CHEAPEST CAR, NO PROBLEMS
By molle888

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Cavi in 2000 with 9 miles on the car. It was really cheap, $12,000 brand new. I wasn't expecting this car to last, but now we're in 2009 and I have never had a problem with the car. I have had the brakes replaced once, but other than that, with regular oil changes, this car has been a jewel. The AC work so much better than my Mitsubishi Montero, of the same age. The gas mileage is a HUGE plus. I adore my Cavi. Forget the high priced cars with the fancy names, GET A CHEVY CAVALIER! I have had nothing but great times with mine! I hope she lasts another 10 years!

She's the basic bare bones.

It stinks!
By Brent

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is not reliable at all. working on it almost every weekend. Engine is very loud makes all kinds of noises. Had to replace Transmission gasket seal, change spark plug wires, a/c unit doesn't work, had to change struts and the headlights are a pain to change. Gm uses very cheap parts to build this car. Don't waste your money on one.

Its has a little pep to it. Good gas mileage

Pretty much everything. After making the car for so many years you would think gm could finally get it right? Guess not!

Stay away
By BC

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this new for my wife and was surprise to see the options I bought on my 98 model were now standard. By the end of 6 years though the A/C had been worked on twice and no longer worked (unless you wanted hot air). Fuel pump replaced. Door gaskets never sealed properly so there was always air and noise.

Gas mileage.

Better fit and finish. Teach your dealers how to fix problems that remain.

Disappointed in the car's reliability.
By NYC Geezer

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car new in 2001 and still have it. Its initial appeal was all the standard features for the price compared to other small cars where almost every desired feature was an expensive option. Although I maintained the car very well to this day, it had its share of rattles & clunking noises from the day I first drove it. Fortunately, I bought an extended warranty when my 3 year/36000 mile new car warranty expired, because the car needed some very expensive mechanical repair work after the Chevy warranty expired. As a retiree on a fixed budget, I can't afford expensive repairs or a new car every several years, so I'm thankful this car lasted till now, but no more GM compact cars for me!

Power doors, locks, windows. Very smooth-shifting uto transmission, large trunk, split rear seats.

Body fit, rattles eliminated, front suspension, hood insulation,