Used 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Good and Bad, more Bad than good.
By murrieta123

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the car used in 2010 with 104K miles for $1300. It was in great shape, no mechanical issues. I kept really good care of the car.
Interior Issues: Dash is made of cheap plastic. It started cracking and falling apart. right now its barely hanging on. i'm thinking of just taking it off and buying one of those carpet covers that they sell to cover it. Its very ugly and embarrassing to have friends see it.
Mechanical Issues: none, thats why i put up with the crappy interior.
The car is sluggish, it won't burn rubber so don't try. Not for those who have the need for speed. I drive slow so i don't care about that stuff. I do not recommend this car.

The car is so dull that nothing really stands out.

I suggest that chevy should use quality materials for their cars so that 10 years down the road, it doesn't fall apart.

My first baby...
By tes092193

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car as my first car, with 130,000 miles on it.
Drove it until 150,000.
Didn't put a penny into the car other than: gas- obviously, oil changes, and a new set of tires.
For being 16-19, the fact no money needed to spent on car repairs was very nice.
The fact I got 30 miles to the gallon easily was nice too.
I had friends who had the exact same year as mine with well over 200,000.
I would be driving this car still, except a driver pulled out in front of me, and sadly totaled my Cavy.
5000 dollars in damage was too much for the insurance company.
This car started up every time, warmed up quickly, and never left me stranded.
For a 2200 engine, it had plenty of pep.

Great gas mileage. Quick and responsive. Easy to handle in all weather conditions. Reliable. Not that I ever needed to- but cheap repairs. The outside looked brand new. No paint fading or rusting. Get up and Go, considering the size of the engine.

Awesome Car!
By jones_rob

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my '01 Cavalier for three years.
It had 65,000 miles on it when I purchased it.
Now I have around 95,500 miles, with absolutely no problems!
Still running on original battery!
Replaced brakes at 70,000 miles and still have 1/2 pads left.
My only complaint is that the dash cracks something crazy.
It had one big crack in the center, which I covered with a stuffed animal, but now there are 6+ cracks on the dash.
Chevy says it's "common" for this car.
My previous car was a '97 Cavalier LS Sedan, that car was great until it hit 165,000 miles, then everything started to go. Hopefully I can get this one up to that!

Sunroof, upgraded radio system, 17" tires, exterior build quality.

Fix the freaking dash! Too bad Chevy discontinued the Cavalier, I would definately buy one new!

Some flaws, but still a great first car!
By lexxibaby

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car almost 2 years ago, it had about 82K on it. Now I'm at about 112K. The head gasket was broken when I bought it but I got that fixed at the dealer. 3 months later, my alternator broke, but that didn't take much! And I have had a few brake problems, but I love the drive and I got in a car accident a few days ago and nothing was severely ruined! Only my radiator and headlight, and small bend on the hood. Although I have metal bumpers, definitely don't get the plastic ones because that's what saved my car! There was a fuel pump problem, but that I only happened when I ran out of gas completely. Sounds like a lot, but I did go to the junk yard to get to parts so it was cheap!

I can always do super fast turns, cheap oil changes, super comfy seats.

Better sound system and paint.

SPORTY, QUICK, FUN AND RELIABLE...
By phoongdan

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my LS sedan for going on 5 years now and it's been a pleasure to own and very fun to drive! I replaced the stock air filter with a K&N system, upgraded the stock exhaust to a racing exhaust, and use synthetic oil and the 140hp engine (about 150hp+ with the mods) and I have the 4-speed automatic with overdrive and the car literally can outrun most 4-cylinders and even some V-6's Not only is it quick, but I like the exterior and interior styling and the car has been exceptionally reliable. I've got over 135,000 miles on it and have only needed basic repairs like a water pump, radiator hoses, thermostat, and rear tail light socket replaced.

The 2.2L engine matched with the 4-speed automatic overdrive transmission is a nice combination. The base sedan with the 5-speed manual just doesn't run as strong as the LS or the Z-24. Even 10-years later it's a nice-looking car. The paint is not faded (I have the metallic silver with clear coat) and the interior has held up well with the only problem being the plastic piece on the dashboard cracked. I have the bi-fuel model, but I've yet to use the natural gas option but it's a nice option to have in case gas gets to $10 a gallon!

No suggested improvements - for the price you are paying it is hard to quibble about anything. I paid $3,300 for the car in 2007 and the car has held it's value. I even had someone at the car wash recently stop and ask if I wanted to sale it for $3,500. $3,300 for the initial investment, about $1,000 in repairs, about $500 in upgrades = about $5,000 in a car that just dusted a $30,000 Lexus a few days ago. LOL