Used 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

My Z24
By pat s

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought my Z24 and I must say, it is so much faster and more fun than it looks. My brother drives a 2002 Impala and my Z24 is much faster and more enjoyable to drive. I am also impressed with how easily this car can be modified into a real racer. I wouldn't give it up for the world.

Speed, handling, overall look, and the driving experience

Better water pump design, better interior design (less plastic, relocattion of a few features), and no drum brakes!

Love It!
By Mitchell

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I am 17 and this is my first car. I bought it with 93,000 miles. It is fun to drive, and gets great gas mileage. The only problems that I am having are, the sunroof switch has a short and will only open all the way if its been in the sun. It has great acceleration, and response. I also need to fix the struts in the front, but it's not the car's fault.

Power sunroof, spoiler, Z24 badging, rims, keyless entry. Seat color matches my car color. (RED) Also like the body moldings.

Plastic around the doors to prevent rust. Make it safer.

It just wouldn't die
By Rick

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in January of 2000. It was my first brand new car. It was cheap, had a CD player, and was a stick...good enough for me. Despite the "sporty" look that I never really made friends with. 7.5 years, 135,000 miles and one minor fender bender later, the car had so few problems that I was beginning to wonder if it was ever going to die. It wasn't until about 5 years after I bought the car that I read about how much of a death trap it was, though, so I lucked out by not getting an any serious accidents. People sitting in the backseat are basically unprotected in case of a bad crash, but since it's so cramped back there who would want to sit there anyway?

Crazy reliable. GMs are hit and miss but my particular one was a hit all the way. Trunk is huge! Seats fold down, that came in handy a lot.

Safety for rear passengers is a serious issue. Interior is cramped, gas mileage is low for such a small car, doors are enormous and open way too wide.

It's a cheap survivor
By Canadian

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

This car was purchased in early 2003 with 76,000 kilometers and has been faithful year after year. The brutally cold winters have failed to prevent cold starts. I have kept all regular maintenance considering the less than stellar ratings tagging this car. I changed the auto transmission fluid at 110000 kilometers on Nov 2005. On Nov 2006, only 20,000 km later, the transmission began to grind, and shortly thereafter, died. This was a major disappointment, as the vehicle was always driven in a manner to prolong it's service life. Thankfully, I was able to find a used transmission with 69000 kilometers for a cheap (albeit unwelcome) $350.00 CAD.

Faithful starts in extremely cold weather.

C'mon GM, is this the best you can do? Crack over dash near air vent. Cheap seats. Backpain inducing. Noisy fan that occasionally rattles. Service light / abs light comes on in humid or wet weather. Creaks, rattles, ticks, permeate this vehicle. Add tilt steering

American Cars are Meant for the Road
By NewDadAgain

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Initially the dealership gave us a lemon. After letters to Corporate HQ the dealership was forced to "de-lemon" this vehicle. After these few months of pure regret we've driven this car all over. From mid-west to parts of the south and regular trips to New England. This is an American car built for the road. This car has about 145,000 miles and counting and runs like a charm!! Drive and American car where it's supposed to be and it'll treat you right!! I've owned Oldsmobile, Chrysler, Chevy, Cadillac.

It's American built for the traditional American interstate highways. The CD sound system is great despite its bland rental appearance.

Abs stinks! Death trap! Headlamps can only be replaced at dealership, never independently! Unlike most other bulb replacement is a piece of cake. Fuel economy. 60/40 rear seat split!