Used 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

high mileage review
By snm

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I now have 220,000 miles on my 1999 cavalier rally sport. It is still a daily driver with no fluid leaks or problems. It has the original exhaust & fuel deliver systems. The 4 speed automatic works perfectly & the car delivers 33 to 35 MPG routinely. The heat & air conditioning systems are also very good. This vehicle will beat the reliability of any toyota or honda. At 300,000 miles I may treat it to a transmission fluid change.

Smooth Engine, HVAC Systems, Gas Mileage, Overall Cost Of Operation

Bring back the Cavalier

White 1999 Cavalier-Z24, 2dr. coupe
By Pippy

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought my cavalier-Z24 new in fall of 1998 (1999 model yr.)and I still own it! It has 52,000 miles on it and runs/looks great! If I could purchase a 2010 Cav.-z24, I'd buy on in a heartbeat! Luv this car, had/have no problems with it this far, everything works fine :) luv this car!

The Z24 body style ground effects, power sunroof, wide low-profile tires, White.

Could use a bit of sound-proofing from outside noises when driving it.

Slow but steady wins the race
By single mom

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I have been driving this car for over 10 years without any problems. It has 180,000 miles on it and no major repairs. Replaced exhaust due to rust, but I live in the snow belt so lots of road salt. An edging of rust just starting along the bottom of the doors. With Nokia tires I have driven this car thru blizzards and floods. As a single mom, I need reliability. It has never left me stranded. It is a no-frills version, so there were no gadgets to breakdown. Still gets 30 mpg and the interior still looks like new. Seats have been very durable. I don't think you can go wrong buying a used Cavalier if you are looking for basic transportation. This has been the best car!

Durability, gas mileage, low-cost maintainance, sizeable trunk space, 5- spead manual has been a great transmission, rear window defroster

I had to replace brakes and rotors on a yearly basis. Cup holder is too small for a cup and the second holder is right under your arm when you shift. Major inconvenience for a mom/child who eat a lot of meals on the road.

Good Buy
By James

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Good overall car. When I purchased this car it had all original parts except the radio (this was a good sign). The bad news was once I bought it some of the 10 year old parts broke. I had the computer system fail ($300), then the drive pulley ($200) then the slave cylinder broke (the clutch was also replaced since the it is so hard to get to it was worth doing it at the time, $700). Overall the car drives great. With regular oil changes and tune ups I think I'll get another 100k miles out of this car.

Easy to maintain, repairs aren't expensive

More cup holders

Fun economy convertible
By mikes

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Convertible

I bought this car new. I had to take it back three times to have them fix the wind noise. They finally figured out that they had to adjust the rear window stop so it would fit flush with the front window. Ride is quite harsh, you feel all the bumps, but engine is peppy. Power top works easily. Could have used overdrive gear for better fuel economy.

Top down driving, power windows

When rear set is folded down the latch protrudes. Front seats could be larger and I am not a large guy.