Used 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Can't beat it!
By johnny-boy

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I've put 100,580 miles on this jewel and never had to think about it quitting. I drive a car hard and this one just keeps on goin'. New brakes once, new rear struts once. The 2.2 liter engine is more than I exspected. I'll cruise at 70-75 all day and just relax and listen to the radio.

Peppy engine runs smooth and will pass another car with not much effort.

More A/C vents for rear compartment, larger fuel tank.

Love my Z!
By SHVD98Z24

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used with 23000 miles on it and it now has 41000 miles on it....6 years later....I know...I only drive it 3000 miles a year but it's a blast. I have done bodywork and stereo systems, lowered it, big rims, you name it. The stock parts hold up well. It isn't like the foreign cars where you have to upgrade 2 other things to upgrade one. The engine is strong...as strong as any non turbo foreign motor. The only problems I have ever had are electrical and thats from adding stuff on. The ignition system is pretty complicated in these cars.

Smooth flowing body and lines....has a heavy feel...I had a 95 Saturn SC1 before this car and it felt like a feather on the road....like wind would blow it away. When you sit behing the wheel of this car....you feel like you are in something solid. Great value!

Window motors do weaken quickly over time......electrical system is pretty complicated!

First Car
By Kaitlyn

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

Alright, so my first car was a little more expensive than what most teens got at my school. However, it was definitely worth the investment compared to the "junkers" my friends bought. I've only had one thing go wrong with my little Cavalier, and that was due to a poor mechanic. Not only that, but my little car was able to plow its way down the road on snowy Michigan roads that had sometimes a foot of snow.

I love the wild colors available (mine is teal) and how cheap it is to repair the car compared to other foreign brands.

For the money, the car really can't be beat. The only things that seem to go wrong in general are the wiper motors going out and the flap under the car is almost guaranteed to rip off.

I've had worse
By tcrews

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

My wife had this car when we got married. We've had to do some motor work (2.4 ltr.), but it has 197,000 miles. What gets me are the comments from mechanics when I take it in. Every mechanic that sees it says, "Oh great!" and tries to pawn it off on one of the other mechanics to work on. They tell me the motor's a pain to work on and was known for overheating. I drive it 150 miles a day bare minimum. Still getting 28 miles to the gallon. Very uncomfortable. Best fix for the road and motor noise is a louder stereo. Was going to trade it in for a different car but nobody wanted it.

Fuel mileage, traction control. Still big enough for my daughter's car seat, and ABS.

Too late. I have a feeling this was an allright car in 98.

I love my Chevy
By Jules

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I bought my 98 Cavalier brand new, in September of 1998. I have driven this car 124,000+ miles. It has taken me all over the east coast, with no issues. This car is very reliable. I have replaced, tires, brakes, and battery, and just had to get new rear struts 6 months ago. No other repairs have ever been needed other then an occasional factory recall. Right now I have Toyo tires on it, and it drives better then ever. The only complaint that I have is that my family has outgrown it, and I am now looking to buy something bigger.

Alloy wheels, power sun roof, 5-speed

The cup holders are not deep enough, and the drivers seat belt tightens up on occasion.