Used 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Good job on this one Chevy!
By Big Pine Man

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have been very satisfied with my 1998 Cavalier. I have about 180000 miles and have had no major troubles. My only big repair has been a water pump. Otherwise just basic maintenance. The car does seem to go through brake pads sooner than other cars I've owned. This car leaves no fliud stains on my garage floor. Overall this car has been a great cheap car to own and drive. My only real complaint about this car is driving it in the winter. Even with good tires it seems to spin alot and the low trax light always comes on. Also the anti lock brakes appear to engage very easily on packed snow roads. This car has not costed me much money though and that is huge. Im happy with the reliability

Low maintenance costs, good gas mileage, nice looking reliable car.

More than one cup holder, better braking system, better traction system. Better seams on bottom of doors. They seem to rust to soon. I have had to doctor them up myself.

Happy camper, reliable car!
By Anderson

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I am very happy overall with my 1998 Cavalier. It is by far better than my 2002 Malibu which is a piece of junk. I have about 180000 miles on this car and to date I have had to make no major repairs. I don't understand it. Only the Japanese cars are supposed to be like this. The only money I have invested in this car is for basic maintenance and a minor repair to the heater fan switch that quit working. My only real complaint on this car is that it is not that great in winter driving. It might be to light. I live in MN and for a front wheel drive it has poor traction on packed snow even with decent tires. Trax light always comes on. Other than that it's been a great car.

Reliability. Cheap to operate and drive. Very good gas mileage.

Make the bottom of the door seams better against rust. More beverage holders.

Very good car
By anderson

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Cavalier new 10 years ago. This has been a great car. Very reliable. The only money I have put into it is basic maintenance and exhaust. I have 170,000 miles on it and I am still on the original engine, original tranny and this car leaves no fluid stains on my garage floor. I have been so happy with this car. My only complaint with this car is that that traction is not that great in the winter even with new tires. They spin very easy even on a snow packed road. It's like the car is too light. Overall this car has been a great purchase for me.

Trunk space with fold down back seat, gas mileage (about 30MPG HWY), very low maintenance costs,

Better bottom door seams, started to rust a few years ago. More comfy seats, and put a transmission fluid stick in it so it is easy to check the tranny fluid!

Not fancy but good value
By Dan

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

Not a fancy car but great value. 65k miles and only replaced starter (03), alternator (07), 2 tires (06), brakes (06), and AC (06) so far. For the price I paid it's great.

Cheap and basic but roomy inside for a compact car.

It's noisy on the highways

Great car
By nick

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I had two recalls. That is good in my book. This car is great on fuel and cheap to run. Overall it's a great car. Even at 270,000 km it's running great.

The paint. The look overall

A better seam on the bottom of the doors. A little rust starting