Used 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Great Car, Worst Buying Time
By Litestorm17

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this 1998 Chevy Cavalier Z24 in December of 07' with 78000 miles on it. I loved the car, but exactly 364 days after I bought it (roughly 90k miles at the time) the entire computer system failed. The dealership has yet to figure out what caused it. It cost me well over $2k to fix. Also, the radiator randomly blew out on me. That was roughly $200. Mine burns oil, but not much. Don't let this rough patch deter you away though. I bought it with all of the wearable stuff at the end of it's lifespan, so now that everything is fixed it works like a dream. It is a great car if you travel long distances like I do. Put an aftermarket short-ram intake, and you can get close to 40 mpg!

Highly customizable, Z24 model really stands apart from the others, engine is kind of quick when you ask it to, comfortable seats for long trips, fuel-sipper,

150hp out of a 2.4L?! Come on! Better paint bonding, , better computer placement (instead of under the passenger wheel well), slightly stiffer shocks, replaceable transmission fluid, hasn't happened to me but the 2.4L DOHC engine burns oil pretty easy so check your oil often

reliable
By pb

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 10 years and I'm sitting at 200000 miles and no major repairs yet. I wish all chevys were this reliable.

Best car I ever owned
By libra26

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

This was the most reliable car I ever had in my life. I never had to put anything major into this car in the 6 yrs I owned it. Absolutely the best and I loved it. I wish they still made the cavalier. I owned 2. I tried to get another used one but they were hard to find. I'm sorry I didn't keep it until it had major problems. I only got rid of it because I was scared of the mileage 110,000 and it needed a new coolant system put in it. I missed having air conditioning too. I didn't want to put any money into it. I was afraid having an 11 yrs old car was risky. I got great mileage. I never not once had it not start for me in 6 yrs. That's pretty amazing.

It didn't have any special features nothing fancy came on it. I loved the color Canjun Red.

More features would have been nice. My only complaint was the air conditioning went after I had it 4 yrs. I never had a new one put in.

The litte car that could.
By anthony farmer

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I got my 1998 Chevy cavalier from my parents and love it. I am currenty still going to school and working and loving the car. This car is the best on gas mileage and a really good car. My car now has 222,076 miles on it and all I have ever done to it is regular maintenance except there was a little time period when it was overheating bad but it turned out it was my fan. I got it fixed and it runs like a top. My advice to anyone is if you can get one of these little boogers its best that you do cause it will save you so much money in the long run. By the way mine is the 2.2 liter 4 cylinder there the best.

The 5speed transmission and the outside looks of the vehicle.

Make them have just a little more leg room for the people with long legs like myself

Brought back from the brink of death
By Beverly Noble

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

My husband to be and I bought this vehicle from my mother who did no maintenance on it whatsoever. We have literally rebuilt this car and it runs like a lean mean fighting machine with over 276,000 on it and we will go a full one million on it before we both die of old age. Chevrolet Cav's are built to take a licking and keep on ticking hopefully not like a bomb.