Used 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Can't wait to get rid of it!
By Jon

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 68,000 miles on it, and it was in OK condition. 4 years later I'm at 92,000 miles and I can't wait to get rid of it. I have massive oil leaks from several spots on the engine, my radiator hoses blew a few months ago and I too have headlight issues due to faulty wiring. Road/wind noise is unbearable, more so then the constant chatter of the plastic interior and rattling of the suspension. On cold and rainy days the engine tends to flood itself. ALL the seals leak in this car leading the interior and trunk to get wet. The entire electrical system in this car is horrible. Apart from the headlight problems, the electrical system tends to give out at high speeds.

It gets me from point A to point B in a loud, bouncy and uncomfortable manner. Chicago potholes are bad enough, especially in a car that gets thrown around by running over a quarter.

Happens all at once
By Jeff

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

My car has been fine no big problems. I had to have brakes and the air went out. I keep smelling gas so if everything starts to happen then the car is falling apart. Before the gas smell the car was great.

Gas and easy to drive

Cruise and rear defrost

I love my car
By mandy

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I love this car! Purchased for $800 from a family member who needed $$, who can beat that?! Was wrecked before,don't know anything about the prior history, but it's been my baby. 28-33 mpg still! Replaced alternator & fixed break fluid leak shortly after purchase. Replaced motor at a little over 170K, 2 yrs ago, $900, cheaper than a new car. At 217K now & still rolling. Oil send unit went out a few months ago,replaced. Having a bit of off-and-on trouble w/the low beam lights(a wiring prob.) Having trouble locating the problem bc of course it doesn't happen when my mechanic has it! LOL No big since I don't drive at night much & if I do I just drive my other vehicle.

excellent MPG, small car, sporty look

dipstick for tranny

One of Chevy's best
By khoist

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I have the five speed model, and it's a blast to drive. Repairs are somewhat inexpensive, and It's dependable. Switching from my 1997 Taurus this car is more upgradeable

The manual transmission, the availability for a non-stock head unit, and seating comfort

Lower it further to the ground for better handling

Good Car
By 1996 Chevy Cavalier

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I really love my Chevy Cavalier. I have had it since 2000 and I am the third owner. I bought it at 56000 miles and it now has 219000 on it. I have only had regular maintance on it except for around 70000 I had to replace the head gasket which is normal for these cars.

Sunroof