Used 2002 Chevrolet Camaro Consumer Reviews - 132 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Camaro

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

'02 Camaro SS
By Phillip Reynolds

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

These cars are absolutely wonderful. They are a blast to drive, especially on good curvy roads!!! I would highly recomend this car to any performance enthusiast out there that wants a sports car.

My favorite feature of my Camaro SS is obviously the LS1. This engine has loads of power right out of the box. Driving would not be as fun without a big engine like the LS1.

The only improvements that should be made on Camaros is the production number. Currently they make about...none annually, which should be changed in the future.

A legend in its own time
By Marc Bazell

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Well, here it is nearly 4 years since I took delivery of my Canadian made '02 Z28, and still performs like the Vette, the Porsche 911 (0-60MPH), the A4, and can outrun any Mercedes BMW and the new Charger RTS. I use synthetic oil (Mobil One 10W- 30),rotate the tires faithfully, maintain about 5 psi above Chevy's recommended 30 psi, change the air filter every 6 months, just flushed the cooling system, brake system and transmission with 18,000 miles on the vehicle. And for all that nit-pickey extra maintenence, I get a whopping 33 MPG @ 70 MPH w/cruise control set. Now, lets see what GM has to offer with the new upgrade Camero next year. So far I like what I hear from rumour central.

Superb stereo sound system and features. Superb handling, acceleration at all speeds. Superb braking. Much quieter than previous models. New improved paint makes it easier to polish and buff out scratches. Very good visibity and superb windshield wiper/washer system. A bigger washer resevoire.

A bit more cushion and wider seat backs. Too much play in headlamp switch and A/C louvers. Plastic display on radio scratches too easily. Suggest a harder scratch resistant plexiglass.

2002 Camaro Z28, LS1-6 Speed
By Tom Miller

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Having owned more than 20 cars over the past 30 years, I can say that my 2002 Z28 Camaro is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I've added some performance and handling bolt-ons, along with the Hypertech Power Programmer and the results are fantastic. 0-60mph in 4.5sec, 1/4 mile in 12.7sec, and I've cruised at over 160mph. Normal driving I average 24.5- 28.4 highway and 14-16 city. I use only synthetic lubricants (engine, gearbox & rear axle); Mobil-1 for the engine with Z-Max additive. Soon, I'll be adding the GM Performance Parts LS1- to-LS6 conversion (heads & cam, 2002 Z06 Corvette) and a F.A.S.T. LSX Intake with a ZEX Nitrous setup. Love my 2002 Z28. Thanks Chevrolet!

GEN III Small Block V-8 (LS1/LS6) Engine, T56 6-Speed OD Trans, 500-watt factory CD stereo, dash layout, body styling, front seat comfort and safety features. Also, great fuel economy with good (310-380) horsepower.

LS6 engine as a factory option. Gear ratios in transmission-different ratios available as option. Stronger rear axle. Slightly larger brakes. Bring back the RPO 1LE SCCA Showroom Stock Racing suspension package.

Back to the true sports car
By John

2002 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a a little over a month, but what a great car. I only have the V-6 with the five speed. It is a very agile car that is very fun to fly through the gears. Drifting the car / burnouts very easy. The car is built solid and doesnt seem to have any problems. The seats even though they are cloth are more comfortable than my sister's Mustang's that are leather. Over all it is a sporty fun car that is a great starter car or even a easy driver.

The gearbox, it is great gearing that makes it easy to smoke the tires if desired. Also it makes the car more agile. If you are considering this vehicle go for the stick, you won't regret it.

If you could go for a shorter thow shifter on this model. The throws are just a little too long for how sporty the car is.

Best Car for the Money
By taxman

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is the best car I have owned. It is a 2002 Camaro SS convertible with the six speed transmission. It really flies when you hit the gas and when not hot rodding this car gets great gas mileage. I would recommend this car to anyone as far as performance, reliability, and looks.

The performance number one with the look of the vehicle a close second. Love the six speed with the skip shift eliminator.

I hope they come out with a new one as I have seen on the web with the six litre. I would be first in line to get an ss convertible again with this option.