Used 2002 Chevrolet Camaro Consumer Reviews - 132 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Camaro

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Did the editors even drive this car?
By Exodus I

2002 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car is exceptional. I have owned a lot of cars in my life, including a 1968 Camaro, which is the only one that compares to this vehicle in performance. This car has literally saved my lie on several occasions. I don't drive a high performance vehicle to show off, Phoenix roads are dangerous. When I tell my car to do something, I expect an instant result. On at least three occasions, spit second performance has avoided serious accidents. She is asthetically appealing as well. She always turns heads, a nice bonus. She leaks a little in a car wash and the stereo needs upgrade. Everything else is amazing. I am giving this to my son and getting the 2009 when available!

The engine purrs. Invest in the extra HP. The nose has exceptional lines. Once, after backing her into my driveway, two of the neighborhood kids came racing up, swishing their bikes tires; "hey mister, you've got a nice car!" America's only affordable sports car, and yes, I have owned a Mustang.

Better stereo. I went to crutchfield and replaced my speaker, Rockford Fosgate in the rear, Alpine in front and mid. The factory stereo is, well factory, so upgrade that as well High performance tires are a must as well. Also, use sound supression materials in the rear.

Bad SS
By redracer1

2002 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have the 35th SS LE Convertible it has been an absolute blast. More than enough power great handling and turns heads where ever I go.

The LS1 and styling

Better stereo

2002 Camaro Convertible
By camaro02

2002 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Excellent reliability. I have had this car for almost five years and have spent $0 on repairs, outside of normal maintenance. Gas mileage is great, given the current price of gas. Unique enough that I typically do not see another like it going down the road. Handling is excellent. I drive the car year round and have driven in a foot of snow with no problem (My son's Mazda 626 got stuck!)

The convertible top, styling, and performance. It makes the daily commute fun. Easy to maintain. Tons of aftermarket parts available.

Hard to see out of the back. Getting out can be tricky in tight spaces due to large doors. Back seat is not much use.

Great Value
By Rocket Ship

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Have had this car for just over a month. Its performance is incredible and I get 22-23 in overall city/hiway driving. Engine is amazingly powerful; radio is a great boom box and handling is outstanding. Was a one- owner vehicle and has only 54K miles. I thank the previous owner for taking such good care of it. Have received many compliments on this beautifully styled vehicle. Looking forward to seeing the redesigned Camaro in model year 2009, but very happy with the one I have. LS1 engine is awesome.

The sound of the LS1 as the revs build; the easy to remove and reinstall T-tops; Monsoon sound system.

Build quality could have been a bit better, but not as bad as many critics have reported.

Great car! Fun to drive!
By kimberly0130

2002 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is the second Camaro I've had (last one was a '97), and I was even more satisfied this time around with the overall performance. This car is still running great after owning it for 5 years. Keeping up with the maintenance is essential for these cars. I wasn't as careful with my last Camaro, and I ended up with several mechanical problems.

The T-tops are fun on sunny days. It's almost like having a convertalbe while still having a full back window! The driver's seat goes back far enough for a tall person to be very comfortable. The fabric on the seats is a soft, plush material which is great as well.

My center console latch broke, and it is costly to replace the cover. It could be more sturdy. Also, since the daytime running lamps are the same as the front turn signal, they burn out rather frequently. When the blinker is out, it just stays on when I put on the turn signal.