Used 2002 Chevrolet Camaro Base Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Camaro

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

What is Edmunds' problem?
By earlr

2002 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

After reading the Edmunds editors reviews of the 4th generation Camaros, I suddenly felt the need to write a review of my own. I don't ever recall seeing such obvious bias in a review; but then, I haven't read many other reviews of American muscle cars, so maybe that's where their issues lie. I am very happy with my '02 Camaro; sure it's not perfect, and it's not Japanese, but it is a lot of fun to drive, is as reliable as any other car of its ilk, and oh did I mention it's a blast to drive. The car has over 120k miles on it now, and the engine & transmission are a solid now as they ever were. I've been able to fix any minor issues that have come up.

Looks, excellent handling (admittedly with some help from aftermarket shocks/springs/sway bars), nice power for a pushrod V6, excellent brakes.

Since this model is out of production, does it really matter?

153,000 miles and still going
By Laura

2002 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my 2002 camaro 35th anniversary edition since January of 2002. 8 months ago, I had the water pump replaced. Today, I had the sway bar replace and in the very near future I will need to have the catalytic converter replaced. Considering that I have 153,000 miles on this car, I think its done really well.

The pick up. When I'm driving and I need to speed up, its great.

A more comfortable front passenger seat or make it feel like you are not so low.

Great Overall
By Jimmy

2002 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Well i'm only 17 my parents owned this car. And gave it to me as my first car. Before i always thought i was gonna tune it. But pointless even though its a v6 it hauls like a v8. 0 to 60 mid 7 secs good for a commuting car and the mileage is good to 30 mpg for the highway going 70mph. Really great car.

The monsoon system even though factory it has 8 speakers 500 watt what else do you need. Just fully peeling out have no traction control the car slides to the side. The day riding lights just the yellow figures in the morning.

Having no traction control on a 55/45 weight ratio rear wheel drive car. In the rain particularly bad wheels spin out. The gas pedal is to deep in not useful for heel toe rev matching.

Did the editors even drive this car?
By Exodus I

2002 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car is exceptional. I have owned a lot of cars in my life, including a 1968 Camaro, which is the only one that compares to this vehicle in performance. This car has literally saved my lie on several occasions. I don't drive a high performance vehicle to show off, Phoenix roads are dangerous. When I tell my car to do something, I expect an instant result. On at least three occasions, spit second performance has avoided serious accidents. She is asthetically appealing as well. She always turns heads, a nice bonus. She leaks a little in a car wash and the stereo needs upgrade. Everything else is amazing. I am giving this to my son and getting the 2009 when available!

The engine purrs. Invest in the extra HP. The nose has exceptional lines. Once, after backing her into my driveway, two of the neighborhood kids came racing up, swishing their bikes tires; "hey mister, you've got a nice car!" America's only affordable sports car, and yes, I have owned a Mustang.

Better stereo. I went to crutchfield and replaced my speaker, Rockford Fosgate in the rear, Alpine in front and mid. The factory stereo is, well factory, so upgrade that as well High performance tires are a must as well. Also, use sound supression materials in the rear.

Great car! Fun to drive!
By kimberly0130

2002 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is the second Camaro I've had (last one was a '97), and I was even more satisfied this time around with the overall performance. This car is still running great after owning it for 5 years. Keeping up with the maintenance is essential for these cars. I wasn't as careful with my last Camaro, and I ended up with several mechanical problems.

The T-tops are fun on sunny days. It's almost like having a convertalbe while still having a full back window! The driver's seat goes back far enough for a tall person to be very comfortable. The fabric on the seats is a soft, plush material which is great as well.

My center console latch broke, and it is costly to replace the cover. It could be more sturdy. Also, since the daytime running lamps are the same as the front turn signal, they burn out rather frequently. When the blinker is out, it just stays on when I put on the turn signal.