Used 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Camaro

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

1998 Z28
By 1998 Z28

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

I am the original owner of this Z28 manual 6-speed since 5/98. It has been great and very reliable. Rear wheel drive is the best, front-drive vehicles have too many repairs. I still have not replaced the clutch, the A/C compressor a couple of times, the transmission syncros may be going but need to shift nicely. May buy the new Camaro after the illicit markups are gone. The LS1 is the greatest motor.

Power

Hump on front passenger side, what design flaw.

FAST 3800 SERIES V-6
By JESSE

1998 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

I really enjoy driving this car, I refer to it as a poor mans corvette. I have taken it on long trips with relative comfort. I have had to repair the transmission, and have had trouble with the front suspension squeaking,no grease zerks!! but the V-6 is quick, will keep up with the 350 thru the 1/8 mile, I have done some modifications, a cold air induction system,and some performance chip's and still get 29 highway miles per gallon. alot of bang for the buck.....

Sporty and fun to drive, a real head turner. not just another jelly bean car.Just mash the gas and pass,love it!!!!!!

The car should have come equipped with grease zerks on the front and rear suspension, and a larger ash tray....

Unbelievable
By Ollie

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

I traded my Mustang GT for this car. I have always been a Mustang guy, and I've owned a few. I couldn't pass on this deal. This car is absolutely amazing. I cannot think of another car that can match the performace of this car for the price. Dollar per HP this car absolutley destroys the Mustang, you pick the year. Short of a supercharged Cobra it cannot be touched. And the SC Cobra better be careful because a slightly modified LS1 makes that a drives race. Stangs are OK but you'll go broke just trying get it to keep up with a stock LS1. No kidding this car literally will dominate 95 percent of the cars you run up against on the street.

Performance hands down.

Bump in the passenger floorboard is a little annoying. But then again I don't ride over there either.

My First New Car
By 98Roadster

1998 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Convertible

I've owned 10 cars and this was my first new car. She's got 115,000 miles now and all I've replaced is a starter, spark plugs and wires, and an alternator. It's been a great car and is really fun. It's kept in the garage so it still looks almost brand new. I'll probably trade it in for a new 2009 Camaro just as I did the 1988 IROC is used as a trade in for this Camaro.

The drop top is the best thing about it. It's great to cruise in the evening desert suset. It handles great and gets a look or two all the time.

The stock v6 could use an extra 50 ponies. The good thing is there are plenty of add-ons to increase your power. The sound system isn't that good because you couldn't get the monsoon system in a convertible.

Chevrolet at its most excellent
By NateMitch

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

Excellent car. Very fun. When I purcased mine I had to change the fuel pump and the gas mileage after that was 24-30 cty-highwy. The car is awesome. You can tell with mine that there was little to no maintinance done to it, but it still is a very excellent car. All of the bugs were worked out in 1 1/2 months. It turned out to be an awesome car. Very fun to drive and reliable.

V-8 engine has serious power. Doesn't take much to get the traction control to kick on

Fuel tank placement. You could make it easier to do work in the rear of the car