Used 2003 Chevrolet Blazer Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Blazer

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

Solid truck SUV
By Eric

2003 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD 2dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my Blazer for just over a year and put 12,000 miles on it, no real complaints thus far. It actually rides quite nice considering the old chasis, and the cabin is very quiet on the highway. If you buy one, accept that you are buying a truck, not a Rav4 or CRV. The good news is it can handle truck-type work and moderate off-roading without a problem. I have a rare 5 speed model, my only complaint that it tends to grind 2nd until the fluid has warmed up. I've also had it leak water twice on me - I chalked it up to not closing the sunroof the first time, but if it happens again its going to the dealer.

As long as you don't pay sticker (and you shouldn't) you can get one heck of a deal on these things. I paid $16.6 for a leftover brand new '03 in '04 that had a $27k sticker. There's no reason you should pay over $20k for one. Poor resale means you can pick up 2-3 year old used ones cheap.

It seems a common problem with these cars are ball joints. Some of it may be GM cheapness, but I suspsect it may also be due to the fact that it uses greasable joints vs. sealed joints most of the more recent vehicles use. If they are not greased at every oil change, they will fail rather quickly.

Bad Tech or Good Luck?
By Alz

2003 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Owned 30 days and have serious issues already. NOTE: it's used and the problems may not be GM's fault. Day 6:Service Engine Soon light comes on. Friday,day 7, dealer says bad O2 sensor/1 plug, I asked why not all six sparks?" They're not bad". OK, I'll replace them myself. 445pm:Left & drove approx 2mi.in traffic,SES on again! Went back, 5pm,service gone. Spoke to Sales Mgr about the 1 plug replaced and why not all six?,"He'll fix, take truck home" O.K.Took to VT, 800mi w/SES light on, perfect ride, no problems. Monday:dropped off. Tuesday: "Your truck's ready,another O2 was bad, wire harness was crimped,and replaced a PCM" I know thats the computer!Waranteed ,Day 29:oil leak/loose oil filter hose! Uhg!

I love the truck besides the problems.The posi/disc brake rear axle is great. Why did GM take so long to build a true S10 4x4? This 4.3 version is smooth, too bad GM killed it. Great interior layout, nice seats, but cheapo cloth. Where is GM's durable tweed? I've owned 2 older 4dr S10s '91/'93, I loved'em.

GM, give all the S10 owners an unlimited waranty on ball joints and EGR valves!

ZR2 - Worth far more than most say...
By AirRyan

2003 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD 2dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have an 03 Blazer ZR2 that I bought new a year and a half ago now, with just under 15k miles on it. I haven't had a single thing wrong with it other than a simple fix for the sunroof. The engine has great torque, and while it could use some more horsepower, that's not what this vehicle was intended for.

Off road, it's as good as a Jeep Wrangler, although I'd like to upgrade the skid plates to a more metal like substance - but I haven't had any trouble. Great speakers and 6 disc CD changer! Love the 31" tires. 4 wheel discs and aluminum wheels are great and show very little brake dust.

I wish I could have got a 4 door ZR2 version, and especially now that they don't make these anymore I don't get any respect on trade in values, but I'm just going to keep it and enjoy it.

Mine is a lemon
By Santha

2003 Chevrolet Blazer LS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 Chevrolet Blazer in July of 2003. My exhaust pops when it cools down, every single time you turn the car off. There is no "fix" for this problem. I am dealing with GM and the better business bureau. I am totally unhappy with GM and my Blazer. I have had the radio replaced. Terrible for blind spots.

Great sound system. Nice drive on the road.

Back up your product!! Find a "fix" for your problems. Keep your existing customers satisfied, especially when truck and SUV sales are low.

awesome vehicle
By omega lianardo

2003 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is an awesome suv it is great on
offroad because it is built on a truck
chasis. It is powerful and designed
very well. this is a good buy.

engine, body style

maybe a little more power but it is already well inginered.