Used 2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

Not impressed
By frederick87

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my 2001 Blazer for about 2 years and I can honestly say that it has been a money pit. I've spent over $2,000 in repairs, it is definitely a maintenance item.
The GM Dex-coolant clogged the heater core and radiator. I had to replace the radiator and hoses at about 120k.
The engine is powerful but sluggish, the tranny slips, the door pins and hinges took a crap this winter, the four-wheel drive no longer works, the ABS and o2 sensors are notorious failures, the car is prone to electronic issues, and the gas mileage is similar to a full size truck.
Car handles poorly, the interior plastic rattles, driver door panel is barely hanging on, and the ride is pretty rough.

At least the car has been comfortable, although it's a bumpy ride. It's sporty and it is what it is; A cheap 4x4. It's a good beater rig. the 4.3 liter Vortec engine is reliable.

Get a Jeep Cherokee.

Dissatisfied 2001 S10 Blazer owner.
By zeroid

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4WD 4dr SUV w/OnStar (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a new top-of-the-line 2001 S10 Blazer LT in September 2001. Here it is, March 2012 and I still have it with just turning 100K gently driven miles, always garaged and properly serviced as needed. Owning this vehicle has convinced me not to ever again purchase a new General Motors vehicle. Why? Poor value. I could list the many headaches this vehicle has provided but the main one is the Dex-Cool coolant problem that destroyed the engine gaskets, clogged the heater core, stopped up the radiator and leaked coolant all over ground at a mere 69K miles. Many other premature failures on this vehicle help to explain why so many once loyal U.S. car buyers have switched to buying foreign cars.

One thing GM did right on these S10 Blazers is the paint! If properly maintained, these exteriors on these vehicles can look good and outlast the mechanicals easily. We liked this vehicle because it looked good, had a very practical design and drove easy. Other than the exterior plastic trim falling off within the first year, (GM replaced several times), these Blazers look good, even over time! We liked the push-button 4WD and nice interior, which has stood up well over the 100K miles! Maybe this is where they get that expression, "beauty is only skin deep!"

I'm quite certain that GM doesn't really care what one dissatisfied S10 Blazer owner says could improve their product, but I would like to say this. For years I was a loyal GM customer that has owned many GM vehicles, but no more. Until GM improves their quality on what they build, and stand behind their products I will not buy their products. I am very dissatisfied with spending over $30K on a vehicle initially and continuing to put large amounts of money into it just to keep it running until it reaches 100K miles. P.S. We just bought a new $45K Ford Edge, let's see how this U.S. made product holds up.

Had for a year - Still runs ok :)
By wheeets

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Got my Blazer a year ago with 84k on it. Put 21k within a year. It runs and drives good. Gas mileage is on avg 15mpg. I'm big (6'5) and fit comfortably. Ongoing problems w/ heater. In colder weather, it only sometimes turns on (even tho I always have the dial set to its highest). Also sometimes makes a grinding noise and the break gets very stiff when breaking on ice. My mechanic cant figure it out, says my breaks are good. 4x4 went last year. Although it has these issues, I still really love driving my Blazer. Gonna get it fixed, once my $ is right. Wanna take it on some trails (when the 4x4 worked, it was great). Gonna hook it up with a tow box, rear tire swing bar (for extra inside room)

Nice Hunting Vehicle
By mancheskia

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Ride is anything but smooth very ruff ride, ride is better off road than on road. Power is well just not there how is it that the 3.8 V6 GM also produced created 205 horse and 230 torque when the 4.3 V6 is only capable of 190 horse and 250 torque. Gas Mileage isn't the worst with the ZR2 package I have got 19.5 mpg as best and as low as 9.5 mpg while towing. Now mainly use for hunting as it is a small capable off road suv that can get down the small tight trails.

If comfort isn't a factor here the size is nice for back dirt roads. 4x4 system works great and has some towing cap.

Power!!!! Ride Quality!!!

Still Running Strong!
By 7ate9

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck for a little over 10 years now and bought it brand new in October 2000. I am lucky that I have a short commute and have only put 84,000 miles on it.

I have not had any major issues except for repairs here and there. Recently the head gasket went, but my mechanic told me its because the coolant used by GM (DEX-COOL) actually deteriorated the gasket. There was a class action lawsuit about this back in 2005, but I did not know about it. Other than that, its been perfect.

It's stil fun to drive and feel almost as good as the day I bought it. My only major complaint is gas mileage, especially compared to vehicles today. I usually get about 16-17 mpg on average.

Agressive design, smooth control, interior layout

Breaks could have been better, interior parts are assembled cheaply