Used 1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

JUNK!!! Do not make a mistake!!!!
By franktiregod

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a one owner 99 Trailblazer with just under 98,000 miles in 2009. WORST MISTAKE I EVER MADE!!

Here is a small list of the things I had to replace on this junkpile.

1. Upper and lower balljoints.
2. Compete a/c system.
3. Computer
4. Heater core
5. Compete exhaust system including catylitic converter and wiring pigtails.
6. Alternator and belts
7. Upper ball joints-AGAIN!!
8. Radiator.

The list goes on an on. And this was a nice CLEAN one owner truck! I got rid of it yesterday. I didnt sell it to an individual because if I did,
my conscience wouldnt let me sleep at night.

I bought my wife a Mazda 3 hatchback. Screw the "american cars". Thanks unions!

I actually liked the design and features on the Blazer. But those are no good to me if it is in the shop constantly.

Get the japanses to teach you how to build a car and then tell the unions you can NOT build a competitve dependable car while paying out ridiculous amounts of pay/benefits to union workers. If they dont agree, let thenm be unemployed while we all buy a darn dependable car. I buy a car for transportation, not to keep unions coffers flowing cash to the latest politician.

Love my 2-dr Blazer
By Anonymous

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV 2dr SUV

I bought this car in 1999 and it still looks like new on the outside and inside. It has the coldest A/C ever! No major repairs needed so far, even after it was stolen and went on a cross country high speed chase a few years ago. I do mostly highway driving and get 23/24 mpg. Like any 2- door space is limited. I like the drop down true tailgate on it, too. It is fun to drive.

gas mileage - highway 23/24 mpg cold A/C, comfortable seats, still looks good after 11 yrs, tailgate,

wish they still made them

A money pit
By Kat

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

One headache after another: Oil leaks, new fuel and brake lines needed, brakes and rotors needed frequent replacement, rear door hatch did not work properly, nor did the windshield wiper fluid nozzle in the rear. Ball joints and U joints were bad. Gas gauge did not work. Emergency brake issues. Alternator and starter were bad. Vanity light would not turn off, slowly draining the battery , which had to be replaced twice already. Numerous other issues to mention. We got rid of it before it died completely. We could have almost purchased another vehicle for the money we put into it just to keep it running. We will never buy another one.

CD player and sound system were good. The heater and air conditioner worked well. It towed a heavy trailer with an ATV with no trouble when it was running.

Start putting more quality into the design and building processes or expect sales to plummet. Not a lot of horsepower, but no big deal. If only they didn't break down every other month Chevy could sell more of these. No one will buy junk if they are hip to the problems of this vehicle.

An old friend
By jgclark

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV

This is a testament to the fact that Chevy CAN put together a great vehicle. I've owned my Blazer for over ten years and dropped nearly 200k on the engine, and other than a squeaky suspension from driving through flood waters more than once and replacing a couple of alternators and a water and fuel pump over a decade, my Chevy kept me safe, comfortable and free from car payments after I paid it off in 2004. It stayed good looking long after the model was replaced by the TrailBlazer, which says a lot about decent design. The engine was always strong and helped me out of traffic scrapes with it's workhorse V6. I drove that truck to it's limits, finally trading it in this year for a sedan.

Decent cargo room, solid build, comfortable front seats, good space up front.

Yeah, the flimsy seat adjustment levers broke off after about 6 years, but a screwdriver kept in the glove box did the trick. Other than that, you couldn't ask for more in a dependable vehicle. I'll miss you, my old friend. Happy retirement!

Garbage!
By blackhaus50

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 2dr SUV 4WD

Front suspension is just awful, the truck was all over the road, pulled to the right bad when I used the brake. The interior would make all sorts of noise with the cheap plastic parts. Oh and how about the seat recliner handle. How many times did that break off. Just stay away!

Selling it. The nice rims and tires I put on it. It was like putting a silk hat on a pig though, but I got it sold

Everything. I guess that's why they stop making this thing