Used 2008 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Aveo

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

I'm Happy
By GJM

2008 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from a Chevy dealer in Anchorage. It had seen service as a rental with National, which is owned by GM. I got it primarily for commuting to work, save on gas, and keep miles down on my truck. I had a Metro once before and loved it. It was my parking lot command vehicle since I could always find a parking spot due to it's size. I got 37.5 mpg driving home from Anchorage to Fairbanks, and about 31 mpg around town. This is what I wanted and I am glad I bought it with a bumper to bumper warranty, at a reduced GM price provide by dealer. What is there not to like. I am wondering how it will fare during our ferocious winters up here in Alaska, but I am happy none the less.

Plenty of room. Savings on gas, easy to keep clean, great for parking, and fun to drive. I should have done this sooner.

Radio speakers are tinny, better seats for distance driving, put the gas cap on the drivers side. Allow gas cap to be accessed outside instead of latch by drivers seat.

Hope they improved it.
By Gary Z

2008 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Car is too light to drive at Atlanta interstate commute speeds - tires squeal at normal I-20 speeds or in ANY crosswind - had dealer check it out, and he admitted that the car's weight is the problem. The Kumho 722's began hydroplaning in normal rain at < 30k miles, replaced with Generals, hydroplaning problem fixed, but still wants to leave road at Interstate speed. Had right headlight fail at 18 mos old - 'way too soon for something like that. Then had HVAC blower fan motor blow its resistor after only 7 mos on road, and again at 18 mos on road, before they figured out that the motor was the problem, not fuses and resistors.

I drive a lot, so I wanted a 'throw away' commuter car. Price, fuel economy (I avg 32 mpg) and interior ergonomics make it an ideal candidate for this.

I realize the great mileage is due to being light weight, but seriously, it shouldn't be threatening to leave the road with a mild cross-BREEZE or at 70 mph. The car needs to be lowered or some sort of air dam needs to be added. I would not let my teenage kid drive this car.

So far, so goo.
By AveoDriver

2008 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, I love my Aveo. I keep reading negative reviews and find it very frustrating. It's an economy car, not a corvette. I'm just over 33,000 miles and have had no major problems. I changed the tires at 31,000 and leaves have got caught in a tube underneath the vehicle, creating a noise when the AC is on. The dealership cleared everything out on both occasions quickly and without cost. The interior has plenty of space and you can fit quite a bit when the seats are folded down. The fuel efficiency is great and the manual transmission is fun to drive. I've been on several 8+ hour road trips in this car and have been very comfortable. So far so good. I hope this car lasts for many years.

The roomy interior, mpg, stylish exterior.

So far no problems.

Nice little car
By TLevine

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Aveo, the first one got totaled after I hit a deer and totaled it. If you are wanting a sports car then do not even go for the Aveo. If you are wanting a good reliable car then this is it. I drive a 100 miles a day round trip and fill up the gas tank twice a week. The 5- speed manual transmission is the best way to go with these little cars. Good little car for the price could not ask for more.

1.5 year review
By Matthew505

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since 4/08. A few comments: The bad- she hates the snow here in Chicago. Handles well driving, but be prepared to shovel or use traction pads when parallel parking with over 5 inches on the ground. The smaller tires, very low power+ low to the ground= tough parking. Other issues: small tires treads will pick up every stone in the road. You will hear them when the windows are down- annoying. Good: only maintenance done outside of oil was a brake job around 14K miles. Rotors rusted. Only drive about 15 miles a day, but lots of stop and go. Overall, not a bad car. Wanted cheap car, got one that works. Bought an aftermarket radio and speakers, so all is well with the commute.

Lumbar support, Sun glass holder, easy street parking, cargo space. Decent interior.

Too little power for too much gas. "Almost" on both, but Chevy fell short here. Car needs more HP and better gas mileage to improve. In total, I have no regrets with this purchase.