Used 2008 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Aveo

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Unsafe for passenger safety
By Tom

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Despite good safety rating, these cars consistently do not provide passenger airbag protection for passengers less than 120 lbs. If you are less than 100 lbs on the passenger side, you can guarantee that the airbag will be off. We took the car back to the dealer 3 times, averaging 4 days each time - and they claimed nothing is wrong. They DO KNOW that these seat sensors were set too high, and there is nothing they can do to fix it. Not only have we experienced this in our car, we've driven rentals of 2009 and 2010 heritage, and the same problem exists in these other years. The service manager said "No problem exists because the computer did not register any faults". Ha, ha, ha. Stupid!

If you go slow, 55 mpg, you will get over 40 MPG. I averaged 37 going about 65 mph.

Fix the darn passenger sensor or give us a manual override to turn it on.

These are great cars
By jason

2008 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have a long commute to work and the aveo goes everyday 120 miles round trip. It has turned out the be the main car with gas so high. We have taken it on several long trips and get great gas mileage its an automatic and have gotten as high as 39 mpg with it several times but usually get about 35 most of the time with or with out a/c on. The aveo has never been back to the shop for repairs nothing has gone wrong with it. Just normal maintenance. Change timing belt at 60,000 miles.

Gas mileage rear seat room trunk room in sedan great cd sound. Very well built. Reliability

none

Not bad for the money
By Dave in Canada

2008 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car in June of this year as a commuter. We then used it for a 32 hundred mile trip through Northern Ontario where gas prices average about $1.08 a liter.($4.18 a U S gallon). Cost us $95 to drive from South of Ottawa to Thunder Bay, a distance of over 1100 miles. Had no problems on the semi Alpine grades and never got below 4th gear. Drove 10 hours a day and no back ache, most comfortable seats on the little car market and the air worked well but sucked power from the slightly too small engine. I have had Kia, Toyata, Ford and even a Russian Lada but this is the most comfortable car we have ever owned including our current Oldsmobile. 4000 miles on it in 3 weeks,love it.

Sun roof, seats, interior room, trunk, security options, fuel consumption, ride.

Needs at least a 1.8 Litre engine. Transmission needs to be re-geared and a shorter throw shift put in. Radio controls on the steering wheel are redundant on a car this small and are constantly being activated accidentally.

Nice at first
By fast driver

2008 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car brand new in 2008, drove great up until now. Check engine light wont go off, it jerks for no reason, cd player stopped working yesterday. It is very light so if it's windy you wont be going over 60 while listening to whistling on the highway. It makes a popping sound when warming up and the trade in value is horrible. If you're looking for something that's NOT your only means of transportation then this is it. When i start to get the letters in I will be trading mine.

The surround sound is great, along with the gas mileage. I've been able to get 400 To 500 miles on the highway

Aveo 08
By smallcarlover

2008 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love my 08 Aveo LT. I've never gotten less than 32 MPG, and on road trips it's 35 MPG. It's never failed me but I am careful to have all of the recommended services completed on time. It has a lot of pep for a 4 cyl car, and it is very comfortable. In 2.6 years I have put two sets of tires on it and the odo reads 67,800. I plan to keep it.