Used 2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

It's a mini-car.
By Zippy

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

When gas went up, wife and I bought the yellow LT hatch. We wanted sunroof, ABS and fog lamps. We couldn't find one with all 3, so we settled w/ sunroof and ABS. We got the 5S since this engine needs every gear. It's cramped and underpowered but handles like a skate. With the back seat folded, the hatch has plenty of space. It's a very good commuter. South Korea has built a quality package for Chevy.

Fuel economy, handling and utilitarianism.

At least 20 more horses, a sixth forward gear and front seat armrests.

Changes
By Wakabu

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Hatch has decent ride and gas mileage seems to be improving although I have only 1200 miles on her.

Clock, rear split seats

Ignition placed on dash (not on column).

Oi-Vey-Oh
By Garibaldi

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Rolling my 1998 Contour SVT put a new car in my life last January. Not a Sentra Spec V, which didn't charm, instead I went for the Aveo SVM 5 door. This car is so stripped, I expected to find a pull cord wrapped around the crank pulley. It took two days and one 45 mph offramp to realize the cheesy Kumho tires wouldn't do. Serious interneting got me 17" wheels and tires that transformed the handling. Gas mileage isn't stupendous at 27 mpg overall, but it's decent. Build quality is all that can be expected for a sub $10k car: it's tight, quiet, fast, and quick. Oddly, the Aveo is a great over the road stormer. With a 6yr/100k bumper to bumper GM warranty, I'm worry free until 2012. Not bad.

No worries tops my list of favorite features. With the bumper to bumper warranty, I pay not deductible and get a loaner for six years or a hundred k. Exterior styling is quite nice in dark red with 17" wheels. And at 75 mph, it is a great highway stormer. I'm happy as a clam.

I'm sorry, but I can't expect any car that cost me $9800 out the door to improve. Oh, okay, if the engine management was a little more up to date, the Aveo could get 35 mpg city/40 mpg highway. But the agricultural 4 banger just isn't that sophisticated.

Great small GM car
By nathan

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first new car, and it is absolutely great! It has excellent handling, is incredibly easy to park, and people are constantly amazed at how much room the interior has. At first the manual transmission was a little rubbery, but after 9000 miles it has broken in nicely and shifts much better. Absolutely no maintenance problems whatsoever. The car actually seems to be holding up well in Michigan on a dirt road (our normal roads are also pretty nasty). Good ride, definitely easy to push through the curves. Too bad GM can't figure out how to make something similar in America, or without stealing from Daewoo, though.

Handling, interior room, ruggedness. Very good headlights that do an excellent job of picking out the deer and other road hazards.

Perhaps a slightly more powerful 4-cylinder that puts out a bit more torque to help get through the snow (say, 120 hp and 130 lb-ft?). Make a better stock AM/FM radio. I replaced mine right away with something else.

Value, Fun, Good Mileage
By Rammer

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I use my new Aveo hatch 5 speed for both work and personal use. I am getting close to my first oil change, and have been very pleased with my car. Good pick up, great mileage if you can keep from exceeding the speed limit. Design - basic, clean, and it works. It's a head turner for a small car. No long trips yet, but I know if I keep at double nickels, the mileage is great, so I sacrifice some time and get to smell some roses.

Great seating, lots of head room. Easy entry and exit.

Middle arms rests would be a very nice option for long drives