Used 2006 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Aveo

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Great gas mileage Key Stuck
By bionicguru

2006 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I easily get the 35 miles per US gallon stated in the heat of the summer but only about 30 mpg in winter. If you get the sport package the cheapest tires i could find were $166 each. My key did get stuck and would not come out. This was a bad solenoid in the shifter assembly and was covered under the powertrain warranty. If this happens to you You can remove the key by pushing the shifter all the way to the left and turning the key at the same time and the key will release.

Mp3 stereo. Handles great with sport package

Brake pedal hard to press and foot can get stuck when wearing work boots.

Expected better gas mileage
By D

2006 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Reviews on this vehicle seem very inconsistent. Based on my research, people seem to be experiencing problems with transmission fluid turning brown very early on (as mine has), but I haven't come across a lot of actual transmission failures. My biggest problem has been fuel economy. For such a tiny car, I expected better than the 25ish total and much less for city driving. Since there aren't any other real advantages over a slightly larger car (besides cost), I have been disappointed by that. For a car of its size, the trunk is great and there is reasonable room in the front seats. The back is tight but that is to be expected. The egg-shape continues to look dated to me.

Reliable so far (42000). Good Trunk.

Shouldn't be considered a fuel-economy leader in its class.

It is what it is
By That guy

2006 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 90 mile a day round trip commute and bought this when gas was over$4 a gal. This is an economy car. They only thing I like about it is that I am 6'2" 300 lbs and I fit into it fine. Otherwise this is a cheap car with cheap features. The factory alarm get buggy and goes off for no reason at times. I've had no major problems but the tires are so small that there can be big problems when potholes are everywhere.

Comfortable for a big person. Low price. good fuel economy.

Alarm is buggy.

Wallet Saver
By G8rB8t

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car. I drive 116 miles a day and given that this car has nothing, and I mean nothing to it, it does the job well. I can live without the AC and the AM/FM radio is par but works and helps me survive the commute. The sole purpose of this car was as a commuter for work and nothing more and it does just that. Currently have filled the tank 20 times and am averaging 35.7 MPG. I am a spirited driver so I am sure others could do much better if they don't average 10 mph over the limit like I do.

Gas mileage. Little options so little can go wrong. Parking capabilities and vision out of the car are great. Feels roomy and plenty of space for my 6' 270 lb frame in front and back.

Can't really say much. You get what you pay for especially in the SVM. The only thing I would recommend is a louder horn.

Economical Road Warrior
By chuckytown

2006 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've put 87,000 miles on this car in 3.5 years. I'm its only driver. I've put a 6' ladder in this car (and closed the hatch), weedwacker, furniture, a dishwasher, several loads of stone, went on a 2,500 mile road trip. I drive 2 hours a day highway. Drove 6 hours in a blizzard yesterday. I've tested this car pretty good. Roads around here ate up the factory suspension. Changed timing belt at 70,000. This is our "truck". I used it as a landscaping car this summer. Fits a big cargo load with seats down. Love the LT! I will drive it to 200k! I can whip this car around country roads fast enough to induce involuntary screams from passengers, but braking and handling always compensate

Snow handling, handling steering response, reliability, fuel economy, interior room, remote entry. Looks like a GTI, almost! This thing has no velocity and stops on a dime. Fun to drive on country roads, and also in crowded city or parking lot conditions. Turning radius. Great visibility of road.

Minor electrical issues with window, cruise control, and dome light. Accelerating up steep hills can be tough. Could use more clearance. People often underestimate the roominess and handling. Too difficult to describe all the ways I love my little fuel-economic wonder car.