Used 2006 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Aveo

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Huge bang for your buck.
By Steve

2006 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Solid car that achieves a lot for the money you are paying. Interior is a huge shock to GM owners accustomed to horrible interior design and quality. Aveo rivals current GM cars twice the price. Small car but extreme efficient in space especially with the hatchback system. Ride quality, wow it's good, being firm enough but still soft to soak up pothole-ridden streets. You sit up high and so it feels almost like being in a mini-van instead of in a typical bathtub-like experience of typical econoboxes. Power is adequate for single driver but craves more with passengers. With a packed car, plan swift acceleration carefully as it'll struggle. Exterior is a beaut. European traits show.

Ride height, feels more substantial than its size suggests. Handling is good on the 2006 model. Tranny is as good as a Toyota (not surprising, since made by same parts supplier). Excellent interior and exterior quality.

Passenger airbag light is blindingly bright at night. Power passenger mirror should've been standard equipment. Another 10hp on tap would make the Aveo a world class econobox leader instead of a typical GM-like follower in this segment.

It's a mini-car.
By Zippy

2006 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

When gas went up, wife and I bought the yellow LT hatch. We wanted sunroof, ABS and fog lamps. We couldn't find one with all 3, so we settled w/ sunroof and ABS. We got the 5S since this engine needs every gear. It's cramped and underpowered but handles like a skate. With the back seat folded, the hatch has plenty of space. It's a very good commuter. South Korea has built a quality package for Chevy.

Fuel economy, handling and utilitarianism.

At least 20 more horses, a sixth forward gear and front seat armrests.

Changes
By Wakabu

2006 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Hatch has decent ride and gas mileage seems to be improving although I have only 1200 miles on her.

Clock, rear split seats

Ignition placed on dash (not on column).

Oi-Vey-Oh
By Garibaldi

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Rolling my 1998 Contour SVT put a new car in my life last January. Not a Sentra Spec V, which didn't charm, instead I went for the Aveo SVM 5 door. This car is so stripped, I expected to find a pull cord wrapped around the crank pulley. It took two days and one 45 mph offramp to realize the cheesy Kumho tires wouldn't do. Serious interneting got me 17" wheels and tires that transformed the handling. Gas mileage isn't stupendous at 27 mpg overall, but it's decent. Build quality is all that can be expected for a sub $10k car: it's tight, quiet, fast, and quick. Oddly, the Aveo is a great over the road stormer. With a 6yr/100k bumper to bumper GM warranty, I'm worry free until 2012. Not bad.

No worries tops my list of favorite features. With the bumper to bumper warranty, I pay not deductible and get a loaner for six years or a hundred k. Exterior styling is quite nice in dark red with 17" wheels. And at 75 mph, it is a great highway stormer. I'm happy as a clam.

I'm sorry, but I can't expect any car that cost me $9800 out the door to improve. Oh, okay, if the engine management was a little more up to date, the Aveo could get 35 mpg city/40 mpg highway. But the agricultural 4 banger just isn't that sophisticated.

Inexpensive but not cheap
By Joseph P. Passaretti

2006 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The ride in this car is surprisingly comfortable for around town. My son (Saturn owner) says that you can't feel the speed because you are sitting higher and the visibility is good. The acceleration is acceptable for the little 1.6 liter engine. The gas mileage seems to be improving from the start at 19 mpg to now 22 mpg although I only have a little over 1000 miles on her. The shape and color (yellow) grows on you and is easier to spot in the parking lot. I find that I can fit at least the same amount of sundries in my Aveo as I had in my 'Oldsmobile Intrigue' with the exception of the Oldmobile could seat 5. Yes I am happy with my choice of the Chevy Aveo and would recommend this car.

The split back seats option I find very useful. The fact that the clock does nothing else but tell time is appealing. The radio is decent and not too complicated to operate. Overall, I think my money was well spent.

All Aveo's should be equipt with electric windows and auto push button door locks.