Used 2004 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews - 213 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Aveo

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Sporty and fun, but beware...
By Renea

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have a base model. I was very pleased with my "new" car for the first 3 weeks. My first trip my car "clunked out" and was out of service for almost 3 months. The parts were hard to find and it turns out that the Cerpintine belt went out and everything else followed. Come to find out, when you get a new belt on these cars they need to be checked and tightened every 5000 miles. I wish I would have known that before hand. Keep tight wraps on the maintenance and this car serves well. Also, since the work on my car, I can not get the radio to work, and buying a used car, it didn't have the "access code" for the radio. When I call around to get it, they say it'll cost about $100.

Cute style, great gas mileage, sporty and fun!

Don't make "under the hood" parts so hard to find and a "domino" affect. When you have a radio without a tape or cd player, it does not need a security system on it!

Dissapointed Chevy Fan
By Chris

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Fuel Economy significantly lower than advertised. Air conditioning performance declines every season, dealer has noted noise but did not fix. Wore out tires prematurely. Has suspension clunks in front and rear which dealer has noted but never fixed.Now it has a grinding in the front which comes and goes but "could not be reproduced by dealer.Our new car is now more disappointing to drive than the 96 we sold when we bought the Aveo. I have always been a supporter and fan of Chevy. The Aveo and Doug Chevy have changed that. I will never buy a new Chevy again.

Suprisingly Solid and Roomy
By Angela

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We just purchased this car when my grandma couldn't drive it anymore. It has 12,000 miles on it, and is in like new condition. Having driven only SUV's for a while, I am blown away at how well this little car handles and how much cab space there is for people. Our 2 teens and a 7 year old fit comfortably in back (as comfortable as our last SUV). Our first trip was 750 miles with 4 people (weighing 600 lbs. total) and packed to the hilt with our stuff. We got 34 mpg on the highway. Acceleration is good on the interstate, even on hills. I just took a 16 hour trip in a Toyota Matrix that didn't do so well and didn't handle as good. I'm only getting 22-26 mpg in the city, but I drive fast.

Red, sporty, good handling, zippy and good gas mileage. Everyone who sees it, comments and wants to know what it is. Love the keyless entry, side signal lights, spoiler and roomy interior.

Put an armrest on the driver's seat, or a console between the seats. Cup holders could use some improvement. The ones up front are a little small and only one for the back seat.

So Far, So Good
By DeBeez

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first auto so I was looking for a fuel efficent, easy to drive car. Well, I lucked out with both. This car handles well and parks easily too. I've had only had to replace a rim and tire but that had to do with potholes, not the car. My only issues are that braking distance needed at higher speeds is longer than I expected and when I'm on the expressway and go above 60mph,the car starts to drift.

The car is very peppy as other reviews have indicated and it manuevers well.

Better braking system maybe, and sturdier frame

Thow away car
By notforchevy

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased brand new, never drove it hard. Took it on trips, always maintained the vehicle. 70k hits and the crank shaft position sensor goes out and the car won't start. 73k hits, the timing belt broke and now I have to pay $2000 for a new engine. Right when I got it back the transmission went out. Out of control

The sunroof. It was the only one in the lot that had one too.

Partner up with Honda and take some notes on how to produce a reliable car.