Used 2008 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Great Ride
By Bob

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased a new 2008 Avalanche 12/08.07/09 had it in for rear main seal. 09 had it in for battery 3 times before i took it to another dealership and found out the batteries were all defective. 09/10 motor went out on the drivers side seat. other than that the vehicle is great to drive. I am 6'3" 325 lbs and have ample room. I love the truck but can do without the probs. The dealership service department really awful. Fuel consumption could be better.

Comfort, audio system, plenty of power for towing.

Fuel consumption could be better. I hate it because I have to take time off of work to put the vehicle in the shop and then time off to pick it up.

2 years later & LTZ is still the best!
By Michael

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this big black beauty 25 months ago, and it is still the best vehicle I have ever had. The only issue was I needed to have the chrome handle replaced last month after it came loose. But other than that this truck is still as great as the day I bought it. It rides like a Cadillac, 90% of the time I can haul without removing the sails, the bed has ample room for transporting furniture without having to lower the back seats.

The tailgate and the sails to cover it. Local stereo shop was able to install a trip so the front seat passenger can watch movies on the dash while traveling. I was an SUV guy prior to this, I will never buy another car again, this truck is it for me.

A little more leg room in the rear, and RSE screens in the headrests so not to block the rear view mirror. A cigar humidor in the center console would have been nice.

Love the Avy!
By Charles

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in a 2004 Range Rover for this vehicle. My wife immediately took the keys and has yet to give them back. We have taken this truck on numerous family vacations and by far the most comfortable vehicle we have ever driven in. The LTZ Pkg with White Diamond looks amazing. Had a couple of issues with the doors not closing and the chrome door handle breaking. Both covered under warranty.

Power running boards, Nav., Comfort of ride and safety.

Blue tooth, cooled seats, paint matched sails would be nice. (The black plastic pieces above the bed).

No more Chevys for me
By Lonnie Griffin

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My driving and ownership experience has been terrible. It has been in the shop at least ten times for different issues. Some of the same issues with a 2000 Chevy pickup I bought new ten years ago it had a knocking engine and Chevy still has the same issues for example, down shift hard bump in transmission, noise in steering column, defective door locks, interior noise around the dash area, bad cam in motor replaced, wind noise, popping noise when turning to left or right sometimes, battery went bad, broken door weld replaced and so on I have to stop. Issues like this should not happen to a $30,000 vehicle for years.

Listen to your long time customers about known issues and get them resolved to keep your customers. I have been burned for $60,000 in the last ten years by Chevy, been a customer for thirty years, no more chevys for me.

Cruise Control
By Fred

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LS 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Cruise does not hold going downhill, can gain 10 to 20 miles per hour. Chevy says within spec. Told to use brakes. First auto ever had that does not hold going downhill. Could have more leg room for the rear seat. Seat belt are hard to close when using with children's car seat.

Controls in steering wheel.

Cruise that holds when going downhill.