Used 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

What a Great Truck for Dad
By YSSMAN

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My Dad was looking to buy an Avalanche the day they came out a few years ago. But with all that plastic, he wouldn't buy one. But after Chevrolet made the plastics an option, he bought one up pretty quick. I was a bit dissapointed that he didn't go with an LT or Z71, but the LS works just fine. The ride is quiet, and around town the power is sufficent to keep the truck going. Fuel mileage isn't bad either for such a large truck, and even when we are doing 80MPH with the A/C on, we still average 22MPG. Added to that, the MidGate system is awesome. Going from a SUV to a pickup truck was a great idea for GM, and it has come in handy so many times, it is just awesome.

Easily the Vortec 5300 V8 is one of the best features of the truck. With 290HP on tap, it is pretty powerful, and it is eager to work. Added to that, the E85 capability is quite nice as well, now that all Meijer Gas Stations will be using it. Other than that, you can't go wrong with the MidGate.

Knowing that it is baisically the same GMT800 as a Silverado or Suburban, I can't complain too much. The interior isn't the greatest, and the seats arent too comfortable, but what can you expect from a truck? It isn't a Lexus, and it won't try to be one.

Functional and Fun
By cory zimmerman

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great vehicle. It has numerous features that turn out to be very useful, such as side compartment that also serve as ice coolers. The fact that the bed drains is nice during the winter. Interior is extremely roomy (I'm 6'2")and comfortable.

Side compartments and removable hard cover top over the bed.

None, this vehicle is great!

Very Versatile!
By Jim

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We love this multi-purpose truck! It accomodates us on our camping trips, hauling the kids bikes, and provides a very comfortable ride around town and on long distance trips. (We do have some concerns about the quality of GM's workmanship tho)

Love its versatility and comfortable ride!

Automatic locking tailgate would be nice. The brakes are a bit mushy and the interior is a little cheap for a $40,000 vehicle.

Well pleased
By pt

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great ability to open and store deck panels by one person. Good visibility in traffic. Handles all 4W terrain well.

Ease of use of deck panels.

Remote tailgate lock. Side steps standard. Remote reverse camera for backing and seeing tailgating cars in traffic.

I'm lovi'n it and that's not a McDonald's
By Mark

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Well my eperience with trucks are are not old enough but I love this vehicle,spent little extra on interior and eterior equipment but dont regret single buck. Finally I have car I can go easy fishing or hunting without any doubts like "Am I gonna get there without ripping all my brake hoses and wires under the car?".This time I would say GO FOR IT! and still when I get back give a little bubble bath put a nice suit on and take my wife to dinner in nice restaurant. This car has its class, runs great. Handling is good very responsive to driver no matter who that is. Lots of power and still looks great on the road. Have proof, everyone's turning heads towards me.

Leather and heated seats,great stereo, dvd system on the back OnStar assistance is helpfull, Z71 package, it's doing it's work very well. Sleeping is easy on the back.

I knew what I was buying so I'll not write about fuel mileage improvments, it is what it is.The only detail I would improve a little are those narrow side steps could be an inch wider.