Used 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

2005 Avalanche
By unhappy chevy owner

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Transmission problems at 34,000 miles and less than 1 year of service. 2wd to 4wd selection buttons and servo motor went out at 45,000 and had to be replaced. Repaired transmission failed at 53,000 miles and is being replaced with a used transmission underneath an extended warranty purchased at a cost of $2,800 as insurace for the transmission repair. I think I should learn how to spell Toyota?

I Love My Truck!
By Jennie

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my truck. I often sleep in it when I'm in between jobs. It's the only truck I ever considered buying. I waited 3 years to buy and it was well worth the wait. Although, it has a rattle in the engine compartment. But I still love my truck. I've heard others traded theirs in or got rid of it because of the noise. I love my truck and I'm keeping it for life. I may get a sports car (of course a Chevy) in the future and I'm still keeping my truck.

The whole truck! Since I have to name a favorite feature, I would say the cooler and storage compartments.

Get rid of the engine noise. It's a rattle in the engine compartment not the engine itself.

Love it
By David D

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is as comfortable as any car and drives just as well. I love the concept. A full lenght bed when you need it, and covered bed for smaller items.

The covered short bed.

Change the covered bed latches. Would like to latch and unlatch all from back of vehicle.

Happy with it
By Ray

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Very fun to drive. For a truck, it has averaged about 16.5 MPG, which is not bad. I tow a boat and a travel trailer at times. It has been in the shop three times, twice with transmission problems, at the dealer a week each time, other time was a computer problem. I have had major tire problems, none of the orginal tires are on the vehicle, I have had it 14 months now.

XM Radio is awesome! I got the sun and sound package, off road package and the everything else package. It is loaded.

I do not know how many other people are having transmission problems, but it has been the worst problem with mine. I would have liked a sportier dash package but took care of it with aftermarket parts.

Fun to Drive @ 20.1 MPG
By David R

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Owned a Ford F-150 for 10 years, still have it, still use it, still a great truck. I’ve owned the '05 Avalanche LT for one year now. I bought the truck because I liked the style and every Avalanche owner I spoke to was passionate about how much fun it was to drive. This vehicle is easy to handle with great control, power, and smooth ride. Every truck owners dream, including great gas mileage; city 19 hwy 24, I average 20.1mpg. Best investment I’ve made in a long time. Now all I need is to find an E85 fuel station.

The ride! Sun roof, heated seats, and chrome running boards all come in handy.

Poor visibility. I added rear safety sensors. There is a good sized dead spot right behind the vehicle. Rear safety sensors and rear video camera should be required on this vehicle. Back seats are a bit stiff for adults, would recommend GM improve lumbar support in rear seat.