Used 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews - 265 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Love my Truck
By mike

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love driving my truck, just don't like the gas mileage. The performance is more than I expected and the ride with the Z-66 suspension package is comparable to a top of the line luxury sedan. Since I have the 2 wheel drive version, during the winter I have found that adding three 70 lbs. bags of sand over the rear axle and a good set of all-terrain tires will keep this truck on the road even in heavy snow as long you don't try anything stupid.

Ability to convert from crew-cab to full length pick-up is great!

Need a little more leg room for the front seats when truck is in pick-up mode.

Nice
By will

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have been wanting one for a while, and I finally got one, and have not been out of it since. It is everything I imagined.

My favorite feature is the compartments on the bed of the truck. The storage space is great.

Problems
By mekastle

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We are having to replace the brakes every 20,000 miles. Dealer says that is normal. GM says they stand behind dealer. Would be unsafe to stand in front because brakes don't work. At same visit, tech says brakes shot, service manager says brakes ok. Three months later, brakes and rotor have to be replaced. GM says believe dealer? Two different stories, how can they believe both? I will never buy another GM product no matter how much I like the design. Nice to look at, practical design does not get me where I am going. If GM blindly accepts whatever the dealer says, I do not trust them and will no longer deal with them. No tears from me in they go bankrupt, maybe they deserve it.

Take responsibility for service problems and design flaws

Go Avy
By AVVY

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The Avy is a great vehicle! My only complaint is the fuel cost, but that is because I bought it before gas went through the roof. The ride is great and smooth, and there are a ton of features I love. I use it as a pickup often, and always get what I need done. I recommend this truck to anyone that likes a bit of luxury with the versitility of a pickup truck

I live in Chicago, so the heated seats are great, but that doesn't set it apart from other vehicles. The panelled bed has to be the best feature, since a person really can't get that with any other vehicle.

Get rid of the plastic cladding! I went with one without the cladding and am so happy I did. Have a friend who got rear ended at like 5mph, and the damage was in the thousands. It looks horrific and serves no purpose. It's amazing they charge extra for that.

Pleased with my '04 Avalanche
By sburk

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my '04 used with 14,000 miles on it. I have been very pleased so far. My Avalanche does not have the body hardware and is very sharp looking. I am getting about 15 mpg during mostly country driving as high as 19 mpg on highway trips. The interior is extremely comfortable especially on long trips. The ride is solid and quiet. I enjoy the sunroof and Bose stereo. I wish I had leather, but the black sport cloth seats are very nice. The bed cover was somewhat faded when I purchased the vehicle, but after using a product called "Back to Black" it looks like new. This is the perfect truck for a family man. Tons of rear seat space even for adults and I love the midgate versatity.

Sunroof. Bose stereo. Rear seat comfort/room. Bed cover and bed storage compartments. Midgate conversion system. Appearance. I have experienced no mechanical problems

Fairly sluggish at low RPM--starting from a stop until the RPM's are up a little. Accelerating when at highway cruising speed requires significant gas pedal pressure.