Used 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews - 265 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

I would buy another one
By Joe V

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased new almost 4 years ago. After 58,000 miles, I have not had one major repair. Changed oil and it goes. In nearly perfect condition, with original tires and brakes. Never a problem. The black plastic began to fade and the dealer refurbished it, under warranty without charge with an improved treatment. Every year me and 3 friends take it on our golf trip- 4 men, 4 sets of clubs and our luggage- and we usually take the clubs of the rest that fly down. Have hauled 10 foot sheets of drywall, skids of pavers and also trailered a huge camper approx 10,000 pounds. Reliable!

Secure compartment; water tight.

I would like to see the back seats have just a little more recline for loing trips. No one has complained- but it could be better.

Problems have been DIY easy
By Jeff

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Coming from owning a Wrangler, I wanted something fun, more comfortable, but still able to be modified to be unique. Other than those that leave theirs stock, the same year/color/body Avalanche can look completely different, which is fun. I didn't buy it because I thought I was going to get good gas mileage, so no complaints there, and the savings in insurance from all the airbags and such has offset that quite a bit. This is my 15th car in the 18 years that I have been driving, and other than my 1st car (69 Ford Mustang Fastback), it has been my favorite. I will drive it till the wheels fall off...then buy another one.

You know my favorite feature, having someone that owns a BMW or Mercedes or Jag/SAAB, Infinity, drive with me for a bit. They realize they dropped twice the money, when they could've not only had a 4 door car, but the occasional truck bed. I have converted 3 friends, all with more money than me.

The rear visibility is poor. In smaller spots, it's easier to back in, but with the mirrors (that change in reverse automatically) and all that, it's still hard to see where the back of the truck is due to the rake. But hey, it's a truck, get over it.

Best Vehicle I have ever owned
By Reed Fleming

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My Avalanche just turned 109,000 miles. Zero problems, original brakes. Oil Changes (synthetic every 15,000 miles)

Seat, Bose sound

With gas at 3.50 per gallon I'd like better gas mileage. Remote locking for the tailgate and an electric rear window would be nice as well

Problems
By Richard

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've had intermediate steering shaft problems, replaced both Idler arms , water pump , blower modular, stereo, and now my transmission is burnt out I'm real disappointed. What happened to reliability and pride in workmanship. I paid cash for a truck loaded with problems. Dont buy this truck! After 3K miles the first truck was replaced because the steering problems could not be corrected. All the problem above are on the second truck. I've had it with this truck.

My Monster
By ka1zuko

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is my Tonka. I beat this thing and it has never let me down. I am typically hard on everything I have. This truck is no exception.

None, I love it as a whole

Auto tinting windows