Used 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews - 265 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Great truck, but...
By Cmac

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is absolutely great. The ride is surprisingly comfortable, and it is plenty of room for my entire family. I have had two problems that the dealership can not fix, but are not a major problem because I am the only one who drives. The memory seats do not retain their settings, and the CD repeat feature does not work as expected. It seems to play all the tracks up until you hit repeat. The first problem is only a nuisance if my wife happens to hop in to take it for a spin since we are on opposite ends of the height scale.

Midgate with removable rear window.

More pedal distance for adjusting pedals in/out.

Great Vehicle
By Russell McPeake

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Z66 new, it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have over 124,00 miles on it, have done no repairs at all, just maintenance. I still have the original brakes and they were checked when I put new tires on a couple of months ago and they still have 65% of the pads left. I have room for 5 people and can carry all their luggage and then some. I didn't buy it for the gas mileage, but I just drove on vacation and got around 19 mpg, and that was both highway and riding around mileage. I cant complain.

Comfort and ride. My mother has a Cadillac that she bought the day before I bought my Avalanche, and my truck rides as good as her car.

I cant think of anything I would change.

I love my truck!
By CherryChevys

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Haven't had any problems out of it except for the HVAC control door. I still get heat and a/c, but it comes out of the windshield defrostor vent.

Off-road ability. I've gone twice the places in this thing than I did in my Jeep. The 4Lo 4Hi, and AWD auto settings works great together. When ever I start to get stuck i can just run though the settings, and get myself out!

For the Z71 Id make it a little higher, and more powerful, and I'd intergrate a GM factory adjustable brake controller for the vehicle, it would probably work a lot better than the aftermarket ones.

Best I've Owned
By Sherry

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Leased this truck for work - I wasn't sure if I'd want to keep it long term. I drove it and bought it! I've stayed on the road during horrendous winter weather using only the stock tires. Hauled drywall, flooring, sod, dirt, rock, garbage - you name it - and it comes clean and looks great for the daily commute. With gas prices rising I've been thinking I should look at something cheaper to run but I don't want to - this is the best vehicle I've owned/driven in 30 years.

Flexibility of the midgate, towing and hauling capabilities.

Poor Transmission. They have problems
By Paul

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

As much as I love a lot of stuff about this car. Check out all the problems they have had with the transmission. Mine went after 65,000 miles. I have the tow package but I never towed anything. The warranty is crap. GM refused to give financial assistance because I didn't change the transmission fluid every 30-35,000 miles. How many of you do? I have always owned GM cars but this is my last. Quality has dropped like a rock. Funny they now have 100,000 mile warranty but I still will not by GM and I find more and more people saying the same thing.

This car is a lot of fun to drive, If it wasn't for my problems with the transmission and GM I would buy this again.

Better transmissions. Check out the problems with the transmissions on these trucks and GM never did a recall. This is my last GM car