Used 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews - 265 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Best Vehicle in 40 Years of Driving
By Allen

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This Chevy Avalanche is the best vehicle I've owned in more than 40 years of driving. It is reliable, comfortable and versatile. I've changed the oil regularly, put on one set of tires, one battery and a set of shocks - no other maintenance or repairs in more than five years of ownership. Truck is like a rolling fortress safe and reliable in all weather. Ride quality similar to our Jag XJ8 but with the capacity to haul the Jag on a trailer. Incredible vehicle.

Comfortable ride, flexibility, reliability, great pulling capacity.

Better fuel economy would be nice but it is comparable with other trucks and SUVs.

Fun, Solid, and reliable at high milage
By mwedding

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my truck. I have owned 29 vehicles in my life, and this is clearly my favorite. I bought it with about 115K miles on it, and I will turn over 140K this week. The truck rides like an SUV, and I have hauled 1500 lbs of rocks and mulch. Take the back window out, open the sunroof and windows, and it is like driving around in an open air Jeep, but it is SO USEFUL. I take my family on vacation, pull trailers, and cruise drive the back roads. I think I will keep this truck longer than any vehicle I have ever owned... Maybe take it over 200K, I bought it expecting that I will put a transmission in it before 180K, we will see.

removable back glass, water tight bed cover, auto 4wd, sunroof, molded "CHEVROLET" in the tailgate, in-dash CD changer....

Bluetooth instead of onstar system ability to stow the back glass w/o fully folding the rear seat fwd more engine options 1500, 2500, and Caddy each had one engine option.

Finaly
By Dog's love trucks.

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I traded my Harley in for a truck. Hey can't ride a bike in the snow. I love the way this truck rides. I used to have a Cadillac and this feels much like it. All the interior options really make this truck feel like a high end luxury vehicle. I find it has almost all the features that my wife's brand new 2010 mazda 3 has but three times the space and 4x4 too boot. That said this thing eats gas like a fat kid eats cake. And I don't get the plastic cladding on a 4x4. To me this is asking for trouble. However, That said I do love this truck and would recommend one to a friend. But one without cladding and maybe a newer one that gets better mpg.

all the bells and whistles. The bed and all the " Pick up " features. and I love the Bose speakers. Air conditioner whoops as well. My westie dogs seem to love all the room in the back. Just wish they would take it easy on the leather.

Get rid of the cladding and make the window side arm rests wider.

Transformer
By dij836

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 1st truck purchase and it was the BEST decision I ever made! I LOVE this truck it handles just like a car and I can back into parking spots with ease. This is a perfect car that will last me a until I get a new one.

I love the space in the cab, I love the design of the truck. This is my TRANSFORMER!

Better stereo system and speakers but I'm not complaining.

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4
By Gus

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My first impression was how dumb it was to merge an suv and truck. I test drove it and I fell in love. Like me, I don't work construction or in a farm and I don't tow heavy but have a good size family. This vehicle is intended for those city dwellers that like to camp, drive on vacation or have to take a trip to the dump. It has been so wonderful to be able to provide such a diversity when needed and GM had given me the tool. I replaced items that I feel I wanted to change to have peace of mind and not because the manual says so. It has not leaked, stopped cause any issues let alone a check engine light.

Exterior cladding because it has been hit at the market many times and not dents or scratches. However, I can't speak for theirs. Great reliability, versatility overall appearance and handling. My kids love the rear window out and sunroof opened.

Due to the poor design of the rear visibility, why not provide a rear sensor or back up camera for safety purposes. Provide a bit more room in the cabin, especially when the rear seats are down.