Used 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 265 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Ava-Lemon
By Ryan

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

I love the looks of the truck, but unfortunately it has started to fall apart. So far the front right axle seal had to be replaced, the battery started leaking battery acid all over the windshield washing resevoir; causing it to leak the entirety of its fluid, there's a clunking noise in the front end, and there's also something wrong with the steering column. It'll be a miracle if I ever do business with GM ever again. The policies that their dealerships practice are not consumer friendly and at most have left me aggravated.

Steering wheel mounted audio controls, the absence of the body armor, and the bed cover plates allow you to use the bed as a trunk.

More power for the 1500.

dream
By alias

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

it's a blast to dreive this car!

Bossman's Choice Best Yet
By Bossman

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Rides better than my Caddy. Love the ability to convert to a full size truck bed. The steering linkage makes a clicking noise.

The midgate is my favorite feature. The quiet ride is great.

Steering noise needs to be corrected.

A versatile truck
By Avy Owner

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Many have suggested replacing the removable glass with a rear power window that retracts into the midgate. I like the existing design. By lowering the midgate, while leaving the glass and tonneau in place, I get extra load space AND protection from the elements. I love the adjustablity of the driver's seat, especially the lumbar support. It's the most comfortable seat I own. I've owned trucks with both the 5.7 and 5.3L engines. GM claims the 5.3 has more power and better economy. That has not been my experience. The 5.7 always felt like it had more grunt and got better mileage. This truck needs both. I average 14-15 mpg. On the whole, though, a great truck.

Driver's seat, midgate, tonneau, redundant controls, adjustable peddles, WBH (Without Body Hardware) - i.e., no cladding

Better fuel mileage, more power (especially low-end), redesign front end and, especially, the flying buttress behind the C-pillar, better rear visibility

Multi-purpose Monster
By Marty

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my new avalanche. I upgraded from a 2WD Sierra w/bare essentials to the Z-71 with every option except the DVD player($1200 not worth it). What a difference. This truck is suprisingly nimble, and the turning radius is less than that of extended cab trucks(ie-easier for my wife to park). Towing capacity is solid. We towed our Grand Prix on a car trailer(total lbs= 6900) from FLA to WA state, only stopping for 9 hours and driving for 66. There were times I forgot I was even towing. What a beast! The midgate is awesome. I've halled everything from drywall(full sheets) with the tailgate closed to 3 backhoe scoops of bark.

Full feature heated seats. Torque, mid-gate feature. Locking tailgate. XM, Bose, locking toolboxes, audio controls on steering wheel.

A back up radar system similar to the Ford escape. It is difficult to back up since the rear sits so high. Upgrade the hitch capacity.