Used 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 187 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Best of both worlds
By wesg33

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the perfect vehicle for someone who needs a truck, but would rather have an SUV. I've had mine for almost three years now and still haven't seen a vehicle that I would rather have. In fact I'm thinking about trading this one in for a new one soon. I sometimes fold the midgate down, take off one panel, and am able to haul 12' metal studs. It's also nice to be able to haul 8' drywall or plywood completely dry. I don't use it for this very often, but it sure is nice in a pinch. I also love having the bed panels, it allows me to haul quite a few tools in the dry.

Bed cover, mid gate, side boxes, rear step in bumper

It would be great if the tailgate unlocked with the remote, I also think they should make the rear window roll down, instead of being removable(I think that I removed mine once- kind of a hassle)

Happy Owner
By Happy Owner

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My Z66 Avalanche is the best truck I have ever owned, and I have had several over the years. I added a Gibson exhaust, K&N air filter and the computer adjustments. The truck runs awesome. The only problem I have had in 28,000 miles is the steering shaft, since it was replaced, nothing, not even brakes. It tows my trailer with two big bikes in it like nothing is even there. I recently added 20" wheels and I get lots of comments on the "green monster." The truck is comfortable for five adults and the ride is more like a car than a truck, very smooth. I use the fold down feature often, mostly leaving the rear window in place and folding the lower section (for ladders etc.). Excellent!!!

Drivers compartment is the best of any truck we looked at. My wife said the back seat has the most comfortable lean angle and leg room of all the trucks we looked at. I love the steering wheel mounted radio controls and the cruise control is right at your fingertips. Dependability is great!!

The larger, wider wheels I put on help the body sway around corners, I don't know if stiffer shocks might help, but may spoil the car like ride. Tough choice. Overall, the best vehicle I have ever owned.

One Awesome Truck
By Anthony F. Dugo Jr.

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my Avalanche(Z-66) for 1 year now. I bought it used & I can tell you this is one awesome Chevy truck. It's bright red & a head turner. I get compliments all the time. It has everything but the kitchen sink in it. .It has a very comfortable ride for a truck . No other competitor can touch this baby! ! Even with the two wheel drive, she glides through the snow like Santa on his sleigh. It's a heavy truck, and tracks through the snow & mud with ease. . Although she likes her fuel, I did not but this vehicle for economy,but since installing a K&N filter and switching to premeium fuel, she runs like a dream. Went from 14.5 to 17.5 mpg. Thanks Chevy for one awesome truck! !

Great interior layout. Back seats are comfortable for 3 adults. Everything is user friendly. . Nice Bose Stereo !

Removable back window is great, but a pain to fold down seats & take out. Then have to go through same routine to re-install. Should work on some type of automatic retracable or hide- away window.

One versatile truck
By R Stephens

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I ordered My Avalanche while stationed in Japan without ever test driving one. I was not disappointed. We now live in Germany and get lots of attention and questions from the locals. It is definately one of the most comfortable trucks I've ever driven and it has no problems getting up to speed on the Autobahn. My only complaint is the speed limiter switch kicks in at about 100 MPH. Parking in German garages can be a little nerve racking with it's size, but it will fit. Since it is the only 4 wheeled vehicle we have here the ability to carry the family or lots of cargo is very nice. We wouldn't trade it for anything.

Folding mid-gate for the option of seating or cargo.

None really, but I would suggest blind spot mirrors for backing up. Also if you need a truck for hauling brush, dirt or anything like that, I wouldn't recommend the Avalanche. The small pieces get into the water drainage system and are difficult to get them all out.

2 1/2 yr review
By JC

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We'll I bought it because of the bed conversion capability. It seemed like a good idea, but in actuality more of a hassle to convert to full bed. The bed panels are a chore to remove and store. If you plan on using the full bed a lot, then get a regular pickup! No issues with the engine, but that's where it ends. In 2.5 years I've been to the dealer for new rotors and pads all around at 5,000 miles, steering shaft replacement, Bose radio replacement, rear window replacement, faded cladding, center mount brake light replacment, regrease steering shaft, failed rear end, and failed transmission. All fortunately covered under warranty except the tranny. I baby the thing. I've never towed or gone off road.

The ride and seating comfort, 5.3L V8

Do away with the cladding, add power rear window,