Used 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews - 188 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

More Than Satisfied
By Mike Noble

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My Avalanche has proven to be everything that I expected. All of the cargo space is very useful, we can fit our 3 kids in back easily, it gives a very smooth ride, and the gas mileage is better than I had expected (16-17 religiously). The back seat is roomy enough for 3 adults to sit in.

Smooth ride, roomy storage, lots of cargo capabilities, gas mileage.

The cargo area can be tough to clean out after hauling any landscaping mulch, dirt, etc. You have to take out the mat to get it clean. The overhead taillight/back-up light can't be replaced at home (you will see almost none working on the road).

orboater's '02 2500 Avalanche
By orboater

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

Use as a daily driver. It is a bit thirsty driving around town but not bad out on the highway considering the size of the engine. Bought to pull boat and am not a bit sorry. One great tow vehicle.

Towing capacity of 12,000#

A nice truck
By Stephen

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck new and it has been very good. The fuel economy on the highway is about 19mpg. The truck has run flawlesly since day one. If I had to find one fault it is that the pistons are slightly noisy when cold for 20 or so seconds, but the engine runs so well otherwise it is easy to ignore that small shortcoming

I can carry five people, a load of wood in the rear and tow my 7200 lb. trailer and it pulls like a freight train. I have a 99 Vette and this engine is just as sweet. Drive one and you will see what I mean.

I would have liked more options available in 2002 (dvd player, directional lights in mirrors, etc) but I see the newer Avalanches have that covered.

Great Truck But Has Problems
By enforcer_2006

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Avalanche used. It is a 1500 Z-71 with 93K miles every option imaginable. I love the way it drives and is really good in snow and ice. The problems I am experiencing is the water pump, steering gear box, and Bilstein shocks have all just gone out at the same time!!! Talk about dumping some money into it all at once. Another problem is that when you drive the truck down the interstate and the wind is blowing, and it does not have to be blowing hard, you get blown all over the interstate. It is gets so bad that I actually take the long way to work using backroads when it gets windy. When I accelerate hard, I get a metalic sound coming from the engine and Chevy can't diagnose it.

The interior is great and the ride is really smooth.

Find out why the truck gets blown all over the road and what is wrong with the 5.3 liter engine making noises.

I've never had a problem.
By Psychpilot

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I was very hesitant to buy this "hybrid" SUV/Pickup. I need a truck, but not all the time. The dealer made a great offer. I am very, very pleased with the Avalanche's performance and reliability. There are only two things I can nitpick about ... the fuel economy (which is the same for all pickups) and the big turning radius. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Lots of goodies for a pickup, like automatic climate control, automatic volume on the very good sound system, etc.

Can't think of a thing I would change, except to help it get better gas mileage. Maybe a hybrid, like Ford has done.